Rep. Jared Golden (D-Maine) will not seek re-election in the upcoming 2026 midterm elections, he announced on Wednesday, citing increased political polarization and rising political violence, including the assassination of Charlie Kirk, as reasons for his decision.
[RELATED: Jared Golden Receives Poor Polling News…]
“After much deliberation, I’ve decided not to seek reelection in 2026. I’m confident that were I to run again, I would win. But recent events have made me reconsider whether the good I can do in Congress still outweighs the cost to my family,” said Rep. Golden on X.
“I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished in decades of public service. Now, I look forward to my next chapter: raising my young daughters with Izzy and spending more time with our family and friends,” he added.
The four-term congressman first announced his decision via a lengthy piece in the Bangor Daily News, just one day after Maine conservatives suffered a major loss at the ballot box with the failure of the Voter ID referendum question and the success of the “red-flag” gun control question.
Golden said that his announcement comes after lengthy deliberation and in response to the current political climate. He criticized both Republicans and Democrats for their tactics.
“My decision is motivated by the clarity recent months have provided about the state of our politics. This week, we passed a grim milestone, having endured the longest government shutdown in our nation’s history. This unnecessary, harmful shutdown and the nonstop, hyperbolic accusations and recriminations by both sides reveal just how broken Congress has become,” he said in his op-ed.
“But after 11 years as a legislator, I have grown tired of the increasing incivility and plain nastiness that are now common from some elements of our American community — behavior that, too often, our political leaders exhibit themselves,” he added.
He warned that he believes both parties are allowing themselves to be co-opted by extremists.
During his time in Congress and on the campaign trail, Golden has worked to portray himself as a moderate, frequently voting across the aisle, and has broken with the Democratic Party on some key issues, including tariffs, which he has spoken of favorably.
He also criticized his own party for forcing a government shutdown over what he called a policy issue that could be addressed in a less dramatic fashion.
Despite his bipartisan overtures, he remains a Democrat, and recently urged Mainers to reject the failed election integrity ballot question, claiming that the voter ID aspect was simply a way for proponents to push through the attached changes to absentee voting.
In his op-ed, Golden also cited personal reasons, including the safety of his family in the face of a growing climate of political violence.
“Recent incidents of political violence have made me reassess the frequent threats against me and my family,” said Golden.
“These have made me reconsider the experiences of my own family, including all of us sitting in a hotel room on Thanksgiving last year after yet another threat against our home. There have been enough of those over the years to demand my attention,” he added.
Golden claimed that he has no doubt that if he did not drop out of the race, he would be victorious, but he said that he fears victory more than defeat in the upcoming high-stakes midterm.
“I have long supported term limits and while current law allows me to run again, I like the idea of ending my service in Congress after eight years — the length of term limits in the Maine Legislature,” he said.
Despite Golden’s claim that he has complete confidence in victory, a recent University of New Hampshire (UNH) Pine Tree State poll gave Republican challenger and former Maine Governor Paul LePage a notable five-point lead over the incumbent.
Golden was also poised to face off against state auditor Matt Dunlap in a Democratic primary.
[RELATED: IRS Registration of “Dunlap for Congress” Suggests the State Auditor Has Decided to Primary Golden…]
A polling memo obtained by Breitbart in August suggested that Dunlap could pose a threat to Golden, with 39 percent of voters supporting Golden and 37 percent supporting Dunlap, who had not officially announced his run at that time.
Golden took apparent shots at both Gov. LePage and Dunlap during his op-ed, suggesting that neither is the best option to represent Maine’s younger generations.
“Our world is rapidly changing, and the torch should be passed to those with the greatest stake in the future — my generation and those who follow. I have consistently called for a new generation of leaders and I repeat that call today,” said Golden in what almost sounded like a riff on a Bob Dylan song.
“My sincere hope is that by creating an open seat, my departure makes space for a competitive primary for both Democrats and Republicans, as Paul LePage and Matt Dunlap are a far cry from being standard bearers of the generations that will inherit the legacy of today’s Congress,” he added.
Golden ended his piece without making any endorsements for a successor.
“The Democratic Party just recently saw what happens when someone steps down and a new candidate is appointed untested,” he said.
Golden stressed that he is proud of what he has accomplished during his time in Congress.
Primary challenger Matt Dunlap issued a statement thanking Golden for his service but also including some veiled barbs.
“Voters deserve a candidate who will show up. Someone who will be available. Someone who will listen,” he said, adding “And they definitely deserve better than Paul LePage.”
For his part, former Gov. Paul LePage posted on X a reiteration of why he is running that makes no mention of Golden or Dunlap but rather simply saying “I am running to Congress to make sure that working families in Maine have a voice in Washington, DC.”


