The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?
  • Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term
  • Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’
  • ‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’
  • Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge
  • Sudanese Immigrant Living in Portland Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges, Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison
  • Rockland Woman Busted with Drugs and a Loaded Firearm
  • Maine Awarded $5M in Federal Weatherization Funds
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Saturday, August 22
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge
News

Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonAugust 22, 2026Updated:August 22, 2026No Comments9 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

State Rep. Mike Soboleski says Trump’s border czar was in Maine Tuesday; two days later, farmers were warned of possible ICE operations targeting farms and construction sites

White House Border Czar Tom Homan was in Maine earlier this week, according to Republican State Rep. Mike Soboleski, a previously little-noticed visit that takes on new significance as farmers and immigration organizations brace for the possibility of increased federal enforcement across the state.

Soboleski disclosed Homan’s presence during an interview Thursday with WVOM’s Maine’s Morning News, saying President Donald Trump’s top immigration enforcement official had been in Maine on Tuesday, Aug. 18.

https://www.wvomfm.com/episode/rewind-08-20-st-rep-mike-soboleski-1045

WVOM posted the interview with Soboleski on Aug. 20.

Neither the White House nor the Department of Homeland Security appears to have publicly announced Homan’s Maine trip, and the purpose of the visit remains unclear.

There has been no public disclosure of where Homan went, whom he met with or whether his visit involved plans for future immigration enforcement.

But the timing is difficult to ignore.

Two days after Homan was reportedly in Maine, the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, or MOFGA, issued an urgent alert warning farmers that it had “received word” of possible U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement operations beginning Friday and extending through the weekend and into early next week.

The initial alert said farms, farmworkers and construction sites were expected to be a focus and specifically warned agricultural operations employing workers through the federal H-2A temporary visa program to remain vigilant.

Hours later, however, MOFGA substantially softened that warning.

The organization issued a correction saying specific enforcement activity and targeted locations had not been confirmed, according to the Bangor Daily News.

The Maine Immigrants’ Rights Coalition also attempted to verify the intelligence and was unable to corroborate it. The coalition is now treating the report as a rumor while remaining prepared for increased enforcement.

That leaves Maine with an unusual collection of facts: Trump’s border czar was reportedly in the state Tuesday, an agricultural organization sounded the alarm about a possible ICE operation Thursday, and federal immigration authorities have dramatically increased their permanent staffing in Maine over the past year.

Whether those developments are connected remains unknown.

A Warning Spreads Through Maine’s Farms

MOFGA Programs Director Ryan Dennett sent the original warning Thursday to farmers and agricultural workers across Maine.

The message said anticipated ICE activity could begin Friday, Aug. 21, and continue through the weekend and early next week.

It identified farms, farmworkers and construction sites as potential targets.

MOFGA also said it had received reports of increased drone surveillance by immigration agents around Maine job sites, urging agricultural businesses to develop plans for workers if drones appeared overhead.

The organization reminded farmers that federal agents generally require either a judicial warrant or the owner’s consent to enter nonpublic portions of buildings, while open agricultural fields receive different protections under federal search-and-seizure law.

Farmers were also encouraged to understand the distinction between judicial warrants signed by judges and administrative immigration warrants issued internally by federal immigration authorities.

But by Thursday night, the certainty surrounding the warning had changed.

MOFGA sent another message acknowledging that the information had not been verified.

The Maine Immigrants’ Rights Coalition’s Ruben Torres told the Bangor Daily News that his organization began calling partner organizations after learning about the initial alert but could not independently corroborate reports of a planned operation.

The coalition did not experience an increase in calls to its ICE hotline Friday, according to the BDN.

The episode demonstrates the climate surrounding immigration enforcement in Maine, where rumors of an ICE operation can now travel quickly through industries heavily dependent on immigrant labor.

That concern extends even to workers who entered the country legally.

Maine had approximately 1,490 positions certified under the H-2A agricultural worker program last year, according to figures cited by the Bangor Daily News.

At Thomas Farms in Corinth, owner Frank Thomas said his 17 Mexican H-2A employees make up nearly his entire field crew and that his family spends roughly $15,000 annually to bring the workers into the United States legally.

Thomas said those workers remain nervous about encounters with ICE despite their legal status.

What Was Tom Homan Doing in Maine?

That uncertainty makes Homan’s reported presence in Maine particularly noteworthy.

Soboleski, a Republican lawmaker from Phillips who has previously worked with federal border officials and toured Maine’s northern border facilities, told WVOM that Homan was in Maine Tuesday.

The publicly posted WVOM interview establishes Soboleski’s appearance on the program Thursday.

What remains unanswered is why the Trump administration’s border czar was here.

Homan is not simply another DHS official.

The former acting director of ICE has become the public face of Trump’s second-term deportation strategy, frequently appearing on national television to defend enforcement operations and explain changes in federal immigration policy.

If Homan’s trip involved ICE operations in Maine, neither DHS nor the White House has publicly said so.

There is also no publicly available evidence proving that his trip was connected to the enforcement activity described in MOFGA’s alert.

ICE’s Maine Workforce Has Jumped 44 Percent

Whatever the explanation for Homan’s trip, ICE’s increased presence in Maine is not a rumor.

Federal employment figures show ICE’s workforce in Maine has grown 44 percent over the past year, representing the agency’s first major staffing increase in the state in at least a decade.

ICE historically averaged approximately 34 employees stationed in Maine.

That number has risen to 52 employees during the current fiscal year, according to U.S. Office of Personnel Management figures reviewed by the Portland Press Herald.

The statistics do not distinguish between deportation officers, investigators and administrative personnel.

The Maine expansion is part of an enormous national hiring campaign designed to give the Trump administration the manpower needed to carry out its immigration enforcement agenda.

DHS brought on approximately 5,500 new deportation officers nationally between October and June, according to federal documents reviewed by the Press Herald.

Congress provided ICE roughly $30 billion for hiring and enforcement expansion through Trump’s One Big Beautiful Bill Act.

The agency has offered bonuses of up to $50,000 to attract recruits.

Cumberland County Sheriff Kevin Joyce said ICE hired two workers away from his department.

“You kind of throw your hands in the air and go, ‘I can’t compete with that,'” Joyce told the Press Herald.

The federal expansion means ICE now possesses substantially greater permanent manpower in Maine even without another temporary enforcement surge.

Maine Has Already Seen One Major ICE Surge

Maine residents have reason to take reports of large-scale enforcement seriously.

Earlier this year, federal immigration officials launched Operation Catch of the Day, an enhanced enforcement operation that resulted in more than 200 arrests across the state.

The operation became a political flashpoint.

Sen. Susan Collins eventually announced in late January that the enhanced Maine operation would end, although routine ICE and Customs and Border Protection activity would continue.

That distinction has proven important.

The temporary operation may have ended, but immigration arrests did not.

And the number of ICE employees based permanently in Maine has since climbed significantly.

Homan Became Central Figure After Biddeford ICE Shooting

Homan also became directly involved in the debate over ICE operations in Maine following the July 13 fatal shooting of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero in Biddeford.

Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot by an ICE officer during an enforcement operation near his home.

He was not the individual agents initially intended to locate.

The shooting immediately triggered scrutiny of ICE tactics, body-camera policies and the background of the officer involved.

After reports surfaced detailing allegations involving officer David Brouillette’s personal history, Homan said the case had prompted a review of the agency’s vetting process.

“If those are facts, I don’t think he should ever have cleared vetting,” Homan said of the allegations during a television interview.

Homan described the case as unusual but acknowledged the matter was being examined. The Press Herald reported that ICE’s rapid hiring campaign has also prompted questions about whether shortened training schedules and accelerated recruitment have compromised traditional safeguards.

The Biddeford shooting subsequently led to another change.

On Aug. 13, Collins announced that every ICE agent stationed in Maine had received a body-worn camera and training on its use.

A spokesperson for Rep. Chellie Pingree later said her office independently confirmed with Maine ICE leadership that the cameras had been distributed.

From Biddeford to Scarborough to Maine’s Farms

Immigration enforcement has become one of Maine’s most contentious political issues over the past several months.

Following the Biddeford shooting, protests erupted across southern Maine.

Democratic lawmakers demanded investigations into the shooting and ICE’s broader operations.

The Scarborough Town Council has pushed federal officials to examine the ICE facility on Manson Libby Road.

Federal immigration activity has also been reported at Portland International Jetport.

Now the anxiety has reached another crucial piece of Maine’s economy: agriculture.

The difference this time is that the existence of the anticipated enforcement operation itself has not been established.

MOFGA’s original alert was specific.

Its subsequent correction was equally significant.

As of Saturday, there is no publicly confirmed evidence establishing that ICE launched a coordinated statewide crackdown Friday against Maine farms or construction sites.

That matters.

Rumor should not be reported as fact.

But neither should the larger developments be overlooked.

ICE’s permanent Maine workforce has grown by 44 percent.

Federal immigration arrests continue.

The administration has poured billions of dollars into expanding enforcement nationally.

And according to a Maine state representative speaking on WVOM, the man President Trump has placed at the center of that enforcement strategy was personally in Maine on Tuesday.

Two days later, one of the state’s most prominent agricultural organizations warned farmers to prepare for a possible ICE operation.

For now, the reason for Homan’s visit, and whether it had anything to do with what came next, remains one of the most significant unanswered questions surrounding federal immigration enforcement in Maine.

Previous ArticleSudanese Immigrant Living in Portland Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges, Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison
Next Article ‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?

August 22, 2026

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest

guest

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Recent News

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026

‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’

August 22, 2026

Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge

August 22, 2026

Sudanese Immigrant Living in Portland Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges, Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison

August 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz