The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest
  • Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury
  • Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover
  • Cat Fight Breaks Out On Boston’s Airwaves Over Sappy Belichick Interview, Missing Gal Pal
  • Supreme Court Adds Sex-Based Discrimination Case to The Docket for Next Term
  • ‘Would You Like Saliva With Those Fries?’
  • Parents’ Rights Group Calls for Graham Platner to Be Barred From Maine School Properties Amid Growing Controversies
  • Bangor Pit Bull Fatally Shot After Allegedly Charging at Child; Owner Faces Charges
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Thursday, May 21
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Maine Dept. of Education Screw Up Sends Extra $3.6M to Portland Schools
News

Maine Dept. of Education Screw Up Sends Extra $3.6M to Portland Schools

Steve RobinsonBy Steve RobinsonMarch 28, 2023Updated:March 29, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The Maine Department of Education made an error that has resulted in an extra $3.6 million for the Portland School System, the Portland Finance Committee revealed Tuesday night.

BREAKING:

A millage rate error by the DOE will result in Portland schools getting an additional $3.6 million in state funding.

This error may impact every school system in Maine, and not every system will see an increase. pic.twitter.com/vZWU0GYcg1

— The Maine Wire (@TheMaineWire) March 29, 2023

“Literally moments ago before we came into this meeting we got an update from the state pertaining to our funding and essentially the Mil rate across the state dropped due to an error at the state level,” said Interim Co-Superintendent Melea Nalli.

“And so, it’s good news. It’s resulting in a $3.6 million shift in terms of what we were previously expected,” Nalli said.

Several other school systems in the state have told some lawmakers that changes in Mil rates are causing the opposite problem.

The Lewiston school system, for example, has learned that they will be receiving much less money, though the total amount of the funding change is not currently public knowledge.

The Maine Wire has reached out to the Maine Department of Education for more information about the nature of the error and how it has been handled.

We will update this story if more information is forthcoming.

UPDATE:

The Maine Department of Education sent out the following information as a priority notice this morning:

Today, the Department is releasing updated, and final, ED 279 reports for School Administrative Units (SAUs). These final reports reflect a lower mil rate of 6.9 percent, which means more funding for your local schools.
 
As you know, the Department issues preliminary ED 279 reports in January as SAUs prepare to undergo your local budgeting processes. Following the release of these preliminary reports, the Department undertakes a rigorous review of the reports to ensure accuracy before finalizing them.
 
This week, that ongoing review identified a duplicative data entry in the algorithm that generates the funding estimates in the reports. The duplicative data entry inaccurately inflated the mill rate in the preliminary reports.
 
The Department has removed the duplicative data entry, and the subsequent calculation produced a lower mil rate – 6.9 percent. This lower mil rate should mean more State funding for your local schools, thereby mitigating the amount of funding needed from local property taxpayers.

Previous ArticleMarjorie Taylor Greene Accuses Canada Of Wanting ‘To Participate In Mexico’s Invasion’ Of The US
Next Article Medicaid for Illegal Aliens Bill Moves Forward in Maine
Steve Robinson
  • Twitter

Steve Robinson is the Editor-in-Chief of The Maine Wire. ‪He can be reached by email at [email protected].

Latest News

Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest

May 21, 2026

Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury

May 21, 2026

Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover

May 21, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest

May 21, 2026

Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury

May 21, 2026

Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover

May 21, 2026

Cat Fight Breaks Out On Boston’s Airwaves Over Sappy Belichick Interview, Missing Gal Pal

May 21, 2026

Supreme Court Adds Sex-Based Discrimination Case to The Docket for Next Term

May 21, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.