The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Bangor Pit Bull Fatally Shot After Allegedly Charging at Child; Owner Faces Charges
  • Is This the New Democratic Party in Maine?
  • Midcoast Maine Paper Jettisons Managing Editor, Five Additional Staffers In “Financial Decision”
  • JD Vance Reveals Immigration Fraud Investigation into Rep. Ilhan Omar
  • Democrat Drama: CD2 Candidates Team Up to Demand Baldacci Disavow Out-of-State Donor PAC Following National Dems Endorsement
  • Janet’s Late Pingree Endorsement Did No Favors For Hannah – Who Latest Polls Show Losing Big-time To The Shah Of Maine
  • LePage Says Maine Fraud Problem Is “Even Worse Than I Thought” After JD Vance Visit
  • Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Thursday, May 21
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Lewiston Man, Previously Jailed for Child Porn Offenses in 2016, Sentenced Again in New Child Porn Case
News

Lewiston Man, Previously Jailed for Child Porn Offenses in 2016, Sentenced Again in New Child Porn Case

Seamus OthotBy Seamus OthotJanuary 31, 2024Updated:January 31, 20241 Comment2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

A Lewiston man, Mark Burns, 61, was sentenced on Tuesday after he pled guilty to charges of possession of sexually explicit material involving children under 12.

“Chief Judge Jon D. Levy noted that Burns’ collection of child pornography was ‘immense.’ When imposing sentence, Judge Levy called the volume of Burns’ collection a ‘significant aggravating factor,’” said the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Burns was investigated in April after police detected that an IP address corresponding to his computer had shared an explicit image of a child under the age of six.

[RELATED: Maine State Police Cause Firestorm After “Predator Poachers” Sting Results in No Arrest for Man Who Sought Sex with 13-Year-Old…]

While executing a search warrant, police discovered over 12,000 images and 1,100 videos of sexual abuse material in Burns’ possession.

Court records revealed that Burns’ immense collection included material on infants.

For his crimes, Burns was sentenced to only ten years in prison, which, according to the Attorney’s office, is the minimum sentence for possessing sexually explicit material involving a child under the age of 12.

Burns, who pled guilty to the crime on August 28, will also be subjected to eight years of supervised release after his prison sentence, and will be forced to pay $58,000 in “restitution.”

Although he received the minimum prison sentence for his recent conviction, this is not the first time Burns has been charged with possession of child porn.

[RELATED: Kiddie Porn Hoarder Eliot Cutler, Caught with 80,000 Images of Children Getting Raped, Released Early for “Good Behavior”…]

According to the attorney’s office, Burns was convicted of the same crime in 2016, for which he should have served the minimum ten years in prison.

The attorney’s office did not specify why Burns was free in 2023, only seven years after his first conviction, to distribute child pornography again.

The office also didn’t clarify why a repeat offender, with an “immense” collection of child sexual abuse material, was once again given the minimum legal prison sentence.

Previous ArticleFBI Director Warns That Chinese Hackers Are Poised to Launch a Devastating Cyberattack On the U.S
Next Article Another One: Turner Firefighters Discover Suspected Illegal Chinese Marijuana Grow Near Bear Pond Variety
Seamus Othot

Seamus Othot is a reporter for The Maine Wire. He grew up in New Hampshire, and graduated from The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, where he was able to spend his time reading the great works of Western Civilization. He can be reached at [email protected] or ‪(401) 216-9160‬.

Latest News

Bangor Pit Bull Fatally Shot After Allegedly Charging at Child; Owner Faces Charges

May 20, 2026

Is This the New Democratic Party in Maine?

May 20, 2026

Midcoast Maine Paper Jettisons Managing Editor, Five Additional Staffers In “Financial Decision”

May 20, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Neecee
Neecee
2 years ago

I seriously wonder how these judges come up with the shortest sentences for these sick humans. I have zero faith in our judicial system

1
Recent News

Bangor Pit Bull Fatally Shot After Allegedly Charging at Child; Owner Faces Charges

May 20, 2026

Is This the New Democratic Party in Maine?

May 20, 2026

Midcoast Maine Paper Jettisons Managing Editor, Five Additional Staffers In “Financial Decision”

May 20, 2026

JD Vance Reveals Immigration Fraud Investigation into Rep. Ilhan Omar

May 20, 2026

Democrat Drama: CD2 Candidates Team Up to Demand Baldacci Disavow Out-of-State Donor PAC Following National Dems Endorsement

May 20, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz