The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Janet’s Late Pingree Endorsement Did No Favors For Hannah – Who Latest Polls Show Losing Big-time To The Shah Of Maine
  • LePage Says Maine Fraud Problem Is “Even Worse Than I Thought” After JD Vance Visit
  • Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search
  • Augusta Residents Can Air Their Greviances About Homelessness Problems in Upcoming Forum
  • Lewiston Council Finalizes Municipal Budget One Week After Voters Reject School Spending Plan
  • Fraudulent Massachusetts Healthcare Biller Will Pay Penalty But Faces No Jailtime
  • Mills Orders Flags Lowered to Honor Three Fallen Maine Public Servants
  • ATF, State Fire Marshal Continue Complex Investigation into Deadly Robbins Lumber Explosion
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Wednesday, May 20
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Maine’s Largest State Worker Union Accuses Mills Administration of ‘Bad-Faith Bargaining’
News

Maine’s Largest State Worker Union Accuses Mills Administration of ‘Bad-Faith Bargaining’

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonNovember 25, 2025Updated:November 25, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read1K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Maine’s largest union representing state employees has filed a formal complaint accusing the Mills administration of refusing to negotiate in good faith, escalating an already tense standoff over expired labor contracts.

The Maine Service Employees Association Local 1989, which represents roughly 10,000 state workers, filed its grievance Monday with the Maine Labor Relations Board. The union says the administration violated state law by prematurely declaring an impasse in negotiations and refusing to engage on multiple unresolved proposals.

According to the union, the administration halted talks last month without addressing its key priorities, including long-standing recruitment and retention issues tied to what the union describes as uncompetitive wages. The complaint accuses state negotiators of “regressive bargaining” and canceling sessions following the impasse declaration.

Union president Mark Brunton said workers have repeatedly warned the administration that high turnover and low pay are eroding state services and driving employees away from public service. He said the union has presented several options to stabilize the workforce.

“Unfortunately, after nearly a year of trying to get the administration to negotiate in good faith for our contracts, last month, the administration chose to declare a premature impasse without even bothering to discuss a third of the proposals we put forward. They simply refuse to listen to our members and respond to our concerns,” Brunton said in a statement.

The complaint asks the labor board to force state management to withdraw its impasse declaration and “cease and desist” from what it alleges are bad-faith tactics.

A spokesperson for the Department of Financial and Administrative Services (DFAS) pushed back, saying the state rejects the accusation and has negotiated transparently. The administration also pointed to more than $1.15 billion in wage increases approved under Gov. Janet Mills, which it says amounts to an average 24 percent pay increase across state government.

The dispute now moves to the Maine Labor Relations Board, which oversees collective bargaining laws for public-sector workers.

Previous ArticleBlanchard’s Facebook Disabled As He Challenges Arrest, Prepares School Committee Campaign
Next Article Rockland School Bus Driver Placed on Leave After Fatal Collision, Records Show Prior OUI Conviction
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

Janet’s Late Pingree Endorsement Did No Favors For Hannah – Who Latest Polls Show Losing Big-time To The Shah Of Maine

May 20, 2026

LePage Says Maine Fraud Problem Is “Even Worse Than I Thought” After JD Vance Visit

May 20, 2026

Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search

May 20, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Janet’s Late Pingree Endorsement Did No Favors For Hannah – Who Latest Polls Show Losing Big-time To The Shah Of Maine

May 20, 2026

LePage Says Maine Fraud Problem Is “Even Worse Than I Thought” After JD Vance Visit

May 20, 2026

Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search

May 20, 2026

Augusta Residents Can Air Their Greviances About Homelessness Problems in Upcoming Forum

May 20, 2026

Lewiston Council Finalizes Municipal Budget One Week After Voters Reject School Spending Plan

May 20, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.