The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast
  • Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent
  • Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms
  • From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington
  • Editorial: If It’s Not Hate, Then What Is It?
  • From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?
  • Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term
  • Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Sunday, August 23
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Trump Administration to Partially Fund SNAP Following Court Orders
News

Trump Administration to Partially Fund SNAP Following Court Orders

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonNovember 3, 2025Updated:November 3, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The Trump administration said Monday it will partially fund the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) after two federal judges ordered the government to keep the food aid program running despite the ongoing shutdown.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) had planned to freeze payments starting November 1, citing an inability to continue funding during the federal shutdown. SNAP serves about one in eight Americans and costs roughly $8 billion per month nationwide.

Officials have not said how much recipients will receive or when benefits will appear on their EBT cards, which can take up to two weeks to process in some states. The average monthly benefit is about $190 per person.

Federal judges in Massachusetts and Rhode Island ruled late last week that the administration must use a $5 billion contingency fund to pay for at least part of the program. The rulings gave the government until Monday to decide whether to fully fund or issue partial payments. Judge John J. McConnell Jr. of Rhode Island said partial payments, which require recalculating benefits, must be issued by Wednesday.

President Trump wrote on Truth Social Friday that he does “NOT want Americans to go hungry just because the Radical Democrats refuse to do the right thing and REOPEN THE GOVERNMENT,” adding that he had directed government lawyers to ensure SNAP payments move forward as soon as possible.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/115471065919157533

The USDA’s earlier decision to halt payments sparked lawsuits from 25 states led by Democratic officials and prompted food banks nationwide to brace for increased demand. SNAP, which has provided grocery assistance for over 60 years, supports about 42 million Americans—two-thirds of them families with children.

The administration initially declined to use the contingency fund but reversed course after the rulings. Judge McConnell also ordered the USDA to maintain all existing waivers for work requirements, which the agency had attempted to terminate during the shutdown.

In Boston, U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani similarly ruled the suspension of SNAP unlawful and required the USDA to confirm by Monday whether it would use reserve funds to pay partial or full benefits.

Art
Previous ArticleFarmington Principal Faces Scrutiny After Dressing as ICE Agent for Halloween
Next Article Nearly 700,000 Ineligible People Have Been Removed from SNAP Rolls Since Trump Took Office: Rollins
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast

August 23, 2026

Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent

August 23, 2026

Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms

August 23, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast

August 23, 2026

From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington

August 23, 2026

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026

‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’

August 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.