The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast
  • Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent
  • Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms
  • From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington
  • Editorial: If It’s Not Hate, Then What Is It?
  • From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?
  • Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term
  • Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Sunday, August 23
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » Business » Trump To Send $12 Billion In Tariff Revenue To Farmers
Business

Trump To Send $12 Billion In Tariff Revenue To Farmers

By Melissa O'Rourke for the Daily Caller News Foundation, Originally Published December 8
DCNFBy DCNFDecember 9, 2025Updated:December 9, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The Trump administration on Monday rolled out a $12 billion relief package, funded by tariff revenue, aimed at farmers who have been hammered by depressed crop prices and a sharp drop in exports.

Roughly $11 billion of the funding will flow through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) new Farmer Bridge Assistance (FBA) program, which will offer one-time bridge payments to growers of major row crops, including soybeans, corn, wheat, rice, and cotton. The remaining funds will be directed to producers of specialty crops that fall outside the FBA program.

“What we’re doing is we’re taking a relatively small portion of that [tariff revenue] and providing it to farmers,” President Donald Trump announced during a roundtable event featuring Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and agriculture industry representatives. “The relief will provide much-needed certainty to farmers as they get this year’s harvest to market and look ahead to next year’s crops, and it’ll help them continue their efforts to lower food prices for American families.”

“Under sleepy Joe Biden, our farmers were crushed by the worst inflation in modern history and crippling restrictions on energy, water and countless other necessities for farmers,” Trump said during the announcement.

A White House official told the Daily Caller News Foundation that the funds are intended be a “financial bridge” as the effects of the administration’s trade deals, tax cuts and deregulation begin to be felt across the farm economy.

Soybean farmers in particular have endured steep losses after China halted most U.S. imports earlier this year in response to the administration’s Liberation Day tariffs. Soybean purchases began to rebound in late October, following a meeting between Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping in South Korea, where Xi agreed to boost imports in exchange for the U.S. lowering certain tariffs.

China logged its largest single-day purchase of American soybeans in two years in November. Since Oct. 30, total confirmed sales to China have reached roughly 2.8 million tons, still well short of the 12 million tons Beijing promised to buy by February, according to Bloomberg.

Trump on Monday expressed optimism that China would exceed its commitments.

The USDA previously announced $9.3 billion in March to pay row crop farmers under the Emergency Commodity Assistance Program, which Congress authorized in late 2024. The president also said in September that he would use tariff revenues to send cash aid to farmers.

President Trump and Secretary Rollins discussed the funding further at a White House roundtable on Monday afternoon.

WATCH:

During his first term, Trump also authorized $28 billion in aid to offset farm losses from a trade standoff with China.

White House spokesperson Anna Kelly cast Monday’s announcement as evidence that Trump is working to stabilize the agricultural sector after what she described as the ‘failures’ of the prior administration.

“Farmers suffered for years under Joe Biden, who increased the United States’ trade deficit to over $1.2 trillion, raised input costs, pushed woke DEI agricultural policies, and more,” Kelly said in a statement. “In contrast, President Trump is helping our agriculture industry by negotiating new trade deals to open new export markets for our farmers and boosting the farm safety net for the first time in a decade.”

The U.S. recorded an agricultural trade surplus of $24.75 billion between FY 2017 and FY 2020, compared to a deficit of $38.5 billion between 2021 and 2024, according to the USDA.

Previous Article‘A Systemic Breakdown’: MSAD 72 Faces Outrage After Special-Needs Child Vanishes for 5 Hours
Next Article Illegals To Now Get Free Pass In Midcoast Maine As Rockland Council Refuses To Work With ICE
DCNF
  • Website

The Daily Caller News Foundation is a non-profit foundation that trains young American journalists.

Latest News

Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent

August 23, 2026

Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms

August 23, 2026

From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington

August 23, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast

August 23, 2026

From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington

August 23, 2026

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026

‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’

August 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.