The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
    • Contact
  • Investigations
  • Support the Maine Wire
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Veteran Bangor Cop, Fighting Crime Nearly 50 Years, Gets Special Award For Helping Victims
  • Fund Created To Benefit Families Of Maine Sailor, Other Six Victims Of Sunken Fishing Boat
  • New Executive Order Aims to Preserve Herbicide Identified as Serious Health Risk by RFK
  • Maine’s Largest Daily’s Recap Of Jesse Jackson’s Visits Completely Missed His Historic Paper Mill Strike Speech
  • MaineCare Fraud Risk Map: Explore New Data on Medicaid Claims for Maine Providers
  • Sanford Data Center Plan Draws Concerns Despite Self-Generated Power Proposal
  • CMP Signals New Rate Increase Filing, Formal Proposal Expected in April
  • Blue Hill Man Will Spend a Year in Prison After Lying About His Criminal History While Buying a Firearm
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Thursday, February 19
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
    • Contact
  • Investigations
  • Support the Maine Wire
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » New Executive Order Aims to Preserve Herbicide Identified as Serious Health Risk by RFK
News

New Executive Order Aims to Preserve Herbicide Identified as Serious Health Risk by RFK

Seamus OthotBy Seamus OthotFebruary 19, 2026Updated:February 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday to increase the production of controversial glyphosate-based herbicides and to grant manufacturers immunity, citing national security concerns.

[RELATED: Dyed-in-the-Diet No Longer: MAHA Scores Win in Striking Dangerous Additives from Food Supply…]

“There is no direct one-for-one chemical alternative to glyphosate-based herbicides.  Lack of access to glyphosate-based herbicides would critically jeopardize agricultural productivity, adding pressure to the domestic food system, and may result in a transition of cropland to other uses due to low productivity,” said President Trump in his order.

“Ensuring an adequate supply of elemental phosphorus and glyphosate-based herbicides is thus crucial to the national security and defense, including food-supply security, which is essential to protecting the health and safety of Americans,” he added.

The order has the potential to drive a wedge between the President and Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Robert F. Kennedy, who has previously campaigned against glyphosate use as part of his “Make America Healthy Again” (MAHA) agenda.

“The herbicide Glyphosate is one of the likely culprits in America’s chronic disease epidemic. Much more widely used here than in Europe. Shockingly, much of our exposure comes from its use as a desiccant on wheat, not as an herbicide. From there it goes straight into our bodies. My USDA will ban that practice,” said Secretary Kennedy in June 2024, shortly before he ended his presidential campaign and endorsed Trump.

The herbicide Glyphosate is one of the likely culprits in America’s chronic disease epidemic. Much more widely used here than in Europe. Shockingly, much of our exposure comes from its use as a desiccant on wheat, not as an herbicide. From there it goes straight into our bodies.…

— Robert F. Kennedy Jr (@RobertKennedyJr) June 14, 2024

The executive order focuses on two primary industrial products: elemental phosphorus and glyphosate-based herbicide.

According to the White House, elemental phosphorus production is essential for national security because it is a component in numerous military devices, including smoke, illumination, and incendiary devices, as well as semiconductors, which are used in various military applications.

Elemental phosphorus is also an essential precursor to glyphosate-based herbicides.

The president argued in the order that glyphosate herbicides are essential to U.S. food security and claimed that any regulations on the herbicide could lead to farms shutting down and harm domestic food production.

Currently, only one U.S. manufacturer, Monsanto, produces elemental phosphorus and glyphosate-based herbicides, and, according to Trump, that company does not produce enough to meet U.S. needs.

The order delegates Defense Production Act powers to the Secretary of Agriculture to require manufacturers to prioritize fulfilling contracts related to the materials, and to ensure the U.S. has the facilities necessary to increase production to meet the nation’s needs.

It also grants immunity from liability for actions taken by companies producing the products in compliance with the President’s order.

While President Trump framed his order in terms of national security and the practical need to keep American farms in business, his order explicitly pushing for increased glyphosate herbicide production strikes a blow at Kennedy’s MAHA agenda.

Glyphosate herbicides have long been a target of Kennedy, who has raised concerns that they could be a cause of cancer and hormonal issues.

Even after Kennedy endorsed Trump’s presidential bid, he promised that he would work with the president to evaluate the harms caused by glyphosate, including potential fertility issues.

Neither Donald Trump nor myself are against IVF. Of course, we want couples to get the help they need to have a baby.

At the same time, we are going to investigate the alarming decline in fertility. We will evaluate research implicating chemicals like glyphosate, BPA, heavy…

— Robert F. Kennedy Jr (@RobertKennedyJr) September 20, 2024

President Trump’s order does not mention potential harms caused by the herbicide, though a White House fact sheet expressed a willingness to consider alternatives for the future while maintaining that glyphosate use is essential for current food production.

The administration continues to support research and investment in next-generation crop protection technologies, but ensuring a stable supply of existing critical inputs remains essential to safeguarding food security and national defense.

Art
Previous ArticleMaine’s Largest Daily’s Recap Of Jesse Jackson’s Visits Completely Missed His Historic Paper Mill Strike Speech
Next Article Fund Created To Benefit Families Of Maine Sailor, Other Six Victims Of Sunken Fishing Boat
Seamus Othot

Seamus Othot is a reporter for The Maine Wire. He grew up in New Hampshire, and graduated from The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, where he was able to spend his time reading the great works of Western Civilization. He can be reached at [email protected]

Subscribe to Substack

Related Posts

Veteran Bangor Cop, Fighting Crime Nearly 50 Years, Gets Special Award For Helping Victims

February 19, 2026

Fund Created To Benefit Families Of Maine Sailor, Other Six Victims Of Sunken Fishing Boat

February 19, 2026

Maine’s Largest Daily’s Recap Of Jesse Jackson’s Visits Completely Missed His Historic Paper Mill Strike Speech

February 19, 2026
Subscribe to Substack
Recent News

Fund Created To Benefit Families Of Maine Sailor, Other Six Victims Of Sunken Fishing Boat

February 19, 2026

New Executive Order Aims to Preserve Herbicide Identified as Serious Health Risk by RFK

February 19, 2026

MaineCare Fraud Risk Map: Explore New Data on Medicaid Claims for Maine Providers

February 19, 2026

CMP Signals New Rate Increase Filing, Formal Proposal Expected in April

February 19, 2026

Firearm Thief from Topsham Pleads Guilty After Marshals Apprehend Him for Failing to Surrender for His Sentence

February 19, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.