The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search
  • Augusta Residents Can Air Their Greviances About Homelessness Problems in Upcoming Forum
  • Lewiston Council Finalizes Municipal Budget One Week After Voters Reject School Spending Plan
  • Fraudulent Massachusetts Healthcare Biller Will Pay Penalty But Faces No Jailtime
  • Mills Orders Flags Lowered to Honor Three Fallen Maine Public Servants
  • ATF, State Fire Marshal Continue Complex Investigation into Deadly Robbins Lumber Explosion
  • DOJ Threatens Maine Over ICE Undercover Plates as Bellows Fires Back
  • Vance Says Trump Administration Will Keep Targeting Fraud, Pushes Iran Toward Nuclear Deal
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Wednesday, May 20
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home ยป News ยป News ยป SCOTUS Declines to Hear Maine Mom’s Case Against School District for Allegedly Withholding Information About Her Child’s Gender Transition
News

SCOTUS Declines to Hear Maine Mom’s Case Against School District for Allegedly Withholding Information About Her Child’s Gender Transition

Libby PalanzaBy Libby PalanzaApril 1, 2026Updated:April 1, 20267 Comments3 Mins Read2K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The United States Supreme Court has declined to hear a Maine mom’s case against a Damariscotta school in which she alleges they withheld information from her about her childโ€™s gender transition.

In December of 2022, mother Amber Lavigne discovered that a then-26-year-old social worker by the name of Samuel Roy had given her 13-year-old child two breast binders โ€” garments designed to conceal the appearance of a femaleโ€™s breasts โ€” and provided instructions on their use.

Lavigne also said that she was not told when Roy and other school officials began to use an alternative name and pronoun set for her child, a fact that was subsequently denied by Great Salt Bay Community School (GSBCS) officials.

In May of last year, District Court Judge Jon D. Levy found that the mother โ€” Amber Lavigne โ€” failed to state a claim because the facts provided in this case were insufficient to establish municipal liability.

Since the judgeโ€™s reasoning then was based solely on Lavigneโ€™s inability to show that the municipality could legally be found responsible for the alleged violations, he did not address the underlying constitutional questions associated with Lavigneโ€™s claims.

Later that month, Lavigne appealed this dismissal to the First Circuit Court of Appeals, which ultimately upheld the ruling in July.

[RELATED: Breaking Down the Circuit Courtโ€™s Dismissal of a Maine Momโ€™s Lawsuit Against a Damariscotta School for Allegedly Hiding Her Childโ€™s Gender Transition]

The petition for a writ of certiorari filed with the Supreme Court by Lavigne and her legal team had asked the Justices to consider two primary questions with respect to her case.

Firstly, she asks the Court to weigh in on the procedural issue of whether or not a case may be dismissed due to the presence of a โ€œprobable alternative explanationโ€ or if the plaintiffโ€™s explanation itself must be found implausible.

Secondly, the petition looks to have the Justices rule directly whether or not parentsโ€™ โ€œfundamental constitutional rightsโ€ include the right to notification when a public school โ€œaffirmatively recognize[s] and facilitate[s] a childโ€™s gender transition.โ€

Lavigne’s legal team expressed disappointment in the Court’s decision.

“It signals to schools across the country, and especially in Maine, that hiding information from parents does not run afoul of the Constitution,” Adam Shelton, the Goldwater Institute’s senior staff attorney on Lavigne’s case, said in a statement.

“We are hopeful that the Supreme Court will one day hold that a public school’s policy that permits a social worker to give a child a chest binder and other school officials to socially transition a child without ever telling parents violates the Constitution’s protection for parental rights,” Shelton added.

The Supreme Court did not provide a reason for their decision to decline Lavigne’s petition.

Previous ArticleBangor Man Attacked with Compound Bow While Trying to Purchase It
Next Article Addicted Tiger Leaves Girlfriend For Treatment; Vanessa’s Ex Fears For Kids
Libby Palanza

Libby Palanza is a reporter for the Maine Wire and a lifelong Mainer. She graduated from Harvard University with a degree in Government and History. She can be reached at [email protected].

Latest News

Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search

May 20, 2026

Augusta Residents Can Air Their Greviances About Homelessness Problems in Upcoming Forum

May 20, 2026

Lewiston Council Finalizes Municipal Budget One Week After Voters Reject School Spending Plan

May 20, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
7 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dr. Ed
Dr. Ed
1 month ago

It was a pity the social worker couldnโ€™t have been sued.

7
Tervis
Tervis
1 month ago

This travesty will change when street justice starts being employed, and it will be

4
cheshire cat
cheshire cat
1 month ago

Tervis, exactly! No sense going to the school board, the superintendent, or the courts. Even if they might agree with you, they are too fearful of the extreme perverts in the Lavinder mafia and of course the school employees will stick together because they are smarter than everyone else. Just ask them. If anyone want’s justice, they are going to have to make it themselves. It is almost time for preemptive justice and remind these sobs to stay in their own lane. God help us all when that day comes.

2
Chris
Chris
1 month ago

What a disgrace! When is this bs going to stop? I don’t think it ever will. I feel for this mother and all parents with kids in the public school system.

1
Margo
Margo
1 month ago

The article neglects to mention that Samuel Roy, the school social worker was a member of Out Maine. look up that organization and you will see what is happening to o

0
Margo
Margo
1 month ago

The article neglects to mention that Samuel Roy, the school social worker, was a member of Out Maine. Look up that organization and you will see what is happening to our kids in schools.

0
Laura Lee
Laura Lee
1 month ago

Disgusting it the right word. There are plenty of other avenues to go down or other people to sue. The school system should be taken to court

0
Recent News

Madison Man Charged with Drug Trafficking after Vehicle Search

May 20, 2026

Augusta Residents Can Air Their Greviances About Homelessness Problems in Upcoming Forum

May 20, 2026

Lewiston Council Finalizes Municipal Budget One Week After Voters Reject School Spending Plan

May 20, 2026

Fraudulent Massachusetts Healthcare Biller Will Pay Penalty But Faces No Jailtime

May 20, 2026

Mills Orders Flags Lowered to Honor Three Fallen Maine Public Servants

May 20, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz