WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump issued a stark warning to Iran on Sunday, declaring that the “clock is ticking” as peace talks aimed at ending the ongoing war remain stalled.
In a Truth Social post on May 17, 2026, Trump warned Tehran that it must move quickly or face devastating consequences.
“For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” Trump wrote.
The president’s comments came after he rejected Iran’s latest peace proposal, calling it “garbage” and “totally unacceptable.” Tehran had reportedly sought to separate broader peace negotiations from the dismantling of its nuclear enrichment program, a position the Trump administration has not accepted.
The central sticking point remains Iran’s nuclear program.
Trump had previously indicated that he might accept a 20-year suspension of Iran’s nuclear program instead of a permanent ban. But Washington’s official response reportedly goes further, demanding that Iran operate only one nuclear site and transfer its highly enriched uranium stockpile to the United States.
Iran, meanwhile, has demanded an immediate end to the war on all fronts, the lifting of the U.S. naval blockade on its ports, and guarantees against future attacks. Iranian media has claimed that the United States failed to offer genuine concessions, resulting in a diplomatic impasse.
Pakistan continues to serve as a mediator in backchannel discussions. Pakistani officials have publicly maintained that “the clock on diplomacy has not stopped,” even as Trump’s rhetoric has grown increasingly aggressive.
The ultimatum also follows Trump’s recent return from a high-stakes summit in Beijing with Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump has said Xi agreed that Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway at the center of global energy concerns. Beijing, however, has not publicly committed to pressuring Tehran.
Trump also spoke by phone Sunday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as the two leaders coordinated strategy amid rising regional tensions.
Asked about the conflict’s impact on domestic gas prices and inflation, Trump said economic considerations are not driving his approach. He emphasized that his overriding priority is preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Military pressure is also mounting.
U.S. military aides have already drafted contingency plans for high-precision bombing runs and potential Special Operations ground actions targeting underground nuclear material if Trump authorizes an end to the fragile April ceasefire.
The Strait of Hormuz remains a flashpoint. Roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil remains disrupted as Iran continues attempting to manage traffic and threaten shipping fees in the waterway, while the U.S. Navy enforces a punishing blockade on Iranian ports.
Inside Iran, a fuel crisis has begun to emerge, with long lines forming at gas stations.
At the same time, proxy tensions are flaring across the region. Intelligence officials report that a drone strike hit the United Arab Emirates’ Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant, sparking a generator fire and further threatening the stability of the regional ceasefire.
For now, the diplomatic track remains open but strained. Trump’s message Sunday made clear that, in his view, Iran is running out of time.



Turn the clock ahead . Turn the clock ahead .
Let’s get this over with once and for all.