The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?
  • Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term
  • Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’
  • ‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’
  • Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge
  • Sudanese Immigrant Living in Portland Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges, Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison
  • Rockland Woman Busted with Drugs and a Loaded Firearm
  • Maine Awarded $5M in Federal Weatherization Funds
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Saturday, August 22
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » 14,000 EBT cards now have photo ID, says LePage
News

14,000 EBT cards now have photo ID, says LePage

Steve RobinsonBy Steve RobinsonSeptember 24, 20145 Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

GovernorPaulLePage

AUGUSTA – The administration of Gov. Paul LePage on Wednesday released information regarding new welfare reforms and enforcement procedures.

“In the last year, we have added more accountability to the system in a number of ways,” LePage said in his weekly address. “We put photos on EBT cards; we eliminated the unauthorized out-of-state use of [Electronic Benefit Transfer] cards; and we put more resources in our welfare to work programs.”

According to the administration, 14,000 Mainers have voluntarily signed up to have photo identification placed on their EBT cards under an initiative that began in April.

[LISTEN: Robinson talks welfare abuse and liberal media spin with Howie Carr…]

Welfare reforms enacted under the LePage administration also include drug testing for convicted felons, a 5-year lifetime cap on the receipt of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash welfare, and reinstated work requirements for roughly 12,000 working age individuals on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as Food Stamps.

LePage said his administration has significantly stepped up enforcement of regulations prohibiting welfare abuse. According to his address, the administration of Gov. John Baldacci, a Democrat, only referred two cases of welfare fraud to the Attorney General in 2009, and just 12 in 2010.

“So far this year, we have referred 61 cases to the AG’s Office for criminal prosecution,” said LePage. “Eight have been prosecuted.”

[RECOMMENDED: Maine AG Janet Mills clashes with LePage on welfare…]

The governor also touted progress the state’s welfare-to-work programs. “In six months, more than 800 TANF recipients have been referred to our worksite program; more than 200 have been placed in work experiences; and another 121 people are now working.”

In January, a Maine Wire investigation found that Maine EBT cards have been used in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as at liquor stores, strip clubs, gambling venues and Disney Land.

Although LePage’s Democratic opponents in the Legislature opposed his welfare reform bills this spring, many are now campaigning for re-election as supportive of his crackdown on welfare abusers.

[RELATED: Maine Dems: Welfare reform got “green light” from us…]

You can view welfare spending data here.

 

LePage
Previous ArticleWATCH: Great debates in Maine politics [video]
Next Article Schaeffer: The Amtrak Downeaster: Obama on wheels
Steve Robinson
  • Twitter

Steve Robinson is the Editor-in-Chief of The Maine Wire. ‪He can be reached by email at [email protected].

Latest News

From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?

August 22, 2026

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
5 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Brenda Postemski
Brenda Postemski
11 years ago

Good job Gov. LePage. I love what you are doing for the state of Maine. This state is not going to get better if it keeps the people on government assistant. People have to take responsibility for themselves in what they want to do in life and what they want to be.

0
Laraine Darlington
Laraine Darlington
11 years ago

jooouli

0
sex
sex
11 years ago

you will love it

0
sex
sex
11 years ago

get it right here

0
Richardson Shaunes
Richardson Shaunes
11 years ago

Nope, this is someone with too much time on his hand. Need sit back and read a bookshelf full of books. This is communistic and invasive.

0
Recent News

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026

‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’

August 22, 2026

Border Czar Tom Homan Was in Maine Days Before Farmers Warned of Possible ICE Surge

August 22, 2026

Sudanese Immigrant Living in Portland Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges, Faces Up to 20 Years in Prison

August 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz