The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
    • Contact
  • Investigations
    • Data
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Arrest Made in Biddeford and Falmouth Walmart Robberies
  • Trump Declares Moot All of Biden’s Executive Orders Signed by Autopen
  • Indigenous Lobstermen In Nova Scotia With Shared Maine Roots Face Legal Battle Over Their Livelihood
  • Trump Announces Female National Guardsmen Has Died Following DC Shooting
  • Maine Physicians On Lookout For A Rare But Potentially Fatal Meat-Allergy Tick Illness
  • ‘Bowdoin College Socialists’ Form in Nod to Standard Bearer Zohran Mamdani, Reject Jews’ Fears He’s Racist
  • Arrest Made in Scarborough Bank Robbery
  • House Explodes in Oakland, Cause Still a Mystery
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Saturday, November 29
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
    • Contact
  • Investigations
    • Data
The Maine Wire
Home » News » Top News » Five Months Later, “National Trust” Won’t Say Who Funded Takeover of Maine Newspapers
Top News

Five Months Later, “National Trust” Won’t Say Who Funded Takeover of Maine Newspapers

Steve RobinsonBy Steve RobinsonJanuary 16, 2024Updated:January 16, 20245 Comments3 Mins Read2K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Five months after telling its staff and readers that it planned to disclose “the funders” behind the purchase of five Maine daily newspapers, the nonprofit trust now controlling several of Maine’s oldest news brands hasn’t kept the promise.

The sale of the Portland Press Herald, Lewiston Sun Journal, Kennebec Journal, and other Maine news brands to the “National Trust for Local News” was completed last summer.

The National Trust said on Aug. 1, following the takeover, that it “looks forward to sharing more about the funders who support this acquisition when we constitute our local board in September,” according to a report in one of the newspapers it controls.

Since that promise appeared in the Press Herald, the National Trust has formed a subsidiary website for the “Maine Trust for Local News” and listed some of the people running the new media company.

However, no announcement has been made about the members of the alleged local board, nor has anything been said of the takeover’s funders.

Press Herald reporter Rachel Ohm, who originally conveyed the National Trust’s statement about disclosing donors, hasn’t written any follow-up stories on the topic.

Lisa DeSisto, the CEO of the papers, originally indicated in a Dec. 29 email that she would answer questions about what National Trust had promised readers in August, but she subsequently stopped replying to inquiries.

What little Mainers can know about the money that now supports the Press Herald and its sister papers comes from the digital media outlet Semafor.

According to Semafor, left-wing billionaire George Soros and Swiss foreign national Hansjörg Wyss were behind the acquistion.

“Two of the country’s key left-leaning political spenders, George Soros’s Open Society Foundation and the medical device billionaire philanthropist Hansjörg Wyss, played a central — and previously unreported — role in the nonprofit purchase of nearly two dozen respected local newspapers in Maine, including the Portland Press Herald, the Lewiston Sun Journal and the Kennebec Journal,” Max Tani reported in September.

Soros, one of the most well-known left-wing donors in American politics, also supports liberal advocacy groups throughout Maine, like the Maine People’s Alliance.

[RELATED: Who is Hansjörg Wyss, the Billionaire Swiss National Bankrolling Progressive Media and Politics in Maine?…]

Wyss made his money in medical devices and was once sued for illegally testing bone cement on human subjects. Although he is not a U.S. citizen and is not allowed to vote in American elections, he has taken a strong interest in shaping Maine’s politics.

In addition to reportedly financing the purchase of the multiple Maine newspapers, Wyss also funded the nonprofit “States Newsroom”, which recently started a progressive blog centered on Maine politics.

[RELATED: Major Progressive Donors, Including Swiss Foreign National Hansjörg Wyss, Funded Press Herald Purchase and Are Funding Yet Another News Outlet in Maine…]

Wyss and Soros haven’t said anything about their motives for bankrolling the media takeover in Maine, but their past spending suggests the pair have an interest in boosting progressive politics in the state.

Soros has spent hundreds of millions of dollars promoting Democratic Party politicians, progressive nonprofit groups, and left-wing political action committees, including multiple organizations that backed former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2016.

Wyss is legally prohibited from donating directly to political candidates, though that hasn’t stopped him from doing so in the past — or from finding loopholes to use his money to influence politics.

This story will be updated if the “National Trust” ever provides the disclosure it said it would.

Previous ArticleCape Elizabeth Democrat Pushes Bill to Hold Firearm Manufacturers and Distributors Liable for Damages Resulting From Illegal Sales
Next Article Trump Wins Iowa Caucus, DeSantis Edges Out Narrow 2nd Place Finish Over Haley
Steve Robinson
  • Twitter

Steve Robinson is the Editor-in-Chief of The Maine Wire. ‪He can be reached by email at Robinson@TheMaineWire.com.

Subscribe to Substack

Related Posts

Arrest Made in Scarborough Bank Robbery

November 28, 2025

Taxpayer Funded UMaine-Farmington Prof Frustrated Hotline Meant to Help Illegals Evade ICE Not Fast Enough

November 27, 2025

Media Watchdog: ‘Maine’s Biggest Newspaper Company May Phase Out Printing, Go All Digital’

November 26, 2025

<span class="dsq-postid" data-dsqidentifier="24259 https://www.themainewire.com/?p=24259">5 Comments

  1. Carol on January 16, 2024 12:22 PM

    Hold on a minute, Mainers and wake up to what we’re allowing in our State and Country!!!
    The National Trust is NOT an American institution but (Welsh: Ymddiriedolaeth Genedlaethol; Irish: Iontaobhas Náisiúnta) a charity and membership organisation for heritage conservation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

    The WEF, Globalists are stealing our American sovereignty rights from under our eyes!!! Their TRICKERY bought out Maine’s leading newspapers. So, whatever they print is grand Marxist manipulation! The Press, America’s Fourth Estate (look that one up) is no longer American, as those of us have noticed for a long time. These shameful newspaper owners, editors, journalists have clearly displayed their true colors by sheepishly not disclosing the names of the new owners. Mainers, please, take nothing for granted anymore. We’ve been taken over by the enemy! Thank God for the remaining, intellectually truthful venues, like the superb investigative reporting from Maine Wire!

  2. Ken Frost on January 16, 2024 2:39 PM

    Carol nailed it

  3. Mike H on January 16, 2024 3:10 PM

    Soros owns Maine now
    Patriots need to stop buying and reading these papers now

  4. Connor the victor on January 16, 2024 8:05 PM

    george the jew soros owns almost all Maine news. Probably this jew “(s) can commit genocide” loving site too.

  5. Steve L on January 17, 2024 4:04 PM

    Soros by his own admission worked for the nazi’s turning in jews, that gave him his start as he stole from the jews he turned in! Such a humanitarian, if it wasn’t for his billions and the demonrats protecting him he should have been convicted of crimes against humanity and hung at the Haig! He actually doesn’t give a damn about the demonrats they are simply his useful idiots, but then we pretty much had that figured out already.

Leave A Reply

Subscribe to Substack
Recent News

Arrest Made in Biddeford and Falmouth Walmart Robberies

November 28, 2025

Trump Declares Moot All of Biden’s Executive Orders Signed by Autopen

November 28, 2025

Indigenous Lobstermen In Nova Scotia With Shared Maine Roots Face Legal Battle Over Their Livelihood

November 28, 2025

Trump Announces Female National Guardsmen Has Died Following DC Shooting

November 28, 2025

Maine Physicians On Lookout For A Rare But Potentially Fatal Meat-Allergy Tick Illness

November 28, 2025
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.