The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Vance Announces Federal Fraud Crackdown Hours Before Bangor Visit Focused on Maine Fraud Concerns
  • Skowhegan Homeless Shelter Ordered to Shut Down After Failing to Install Sprinkler System
  • Collins Presses FBI, DEA on Illegal Marijuana Grow Houses in Maine
  • $56.7 Million School Budget Heads to Cumberland and North Yarmouth Voters for Validation
  • U.S. Stops Enrolling New Hospices and Home Healthcare Agencies in Medicare As Vance Blocks $1.4 Billion in Funding
  • Hermon Burglary Leads to Two Arrests And Drug Seizure
  • Game Warden Killed in Avon Plane Crash
  • Welcome to Maine, Mr. Vice President โ€” Now Letโ€™s Expose the Fraud Machine
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Wednesday, May 13
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home ยป News ยป News ยป Attempted Mass Shooting at Joel Osteen’s Houston Megachurch Leaves Unanswered Questions About Shooter
News

Attempted Mass Shooting at Joel Osteen’s Houston Megachurch Leaves Unanswered Questions About Shooter

Seamus OthotBy Seamus OthotFebruary 13, 2024Updated:February 13, 20243 Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The individual who attempted a mass shooting at Joel Osteen’s Lakewood megachurch in Houston on Sunday has been identified as 36-year-old Genesse Moreno — a El Salvadorian national, once held but released by immigration authorities, who left behind anti-Semitic writings.

Moreno entered the church with her seven-year-old son during the Spanish-language service and proceeded to open fire on parishioners before being shot and killed by two off-duty police officers.

During the shootout, Moreno’s son was shot, as well as one 57-year-old parishioner of the church.

The injured parishioner has been released from the hospital, but the child is “fighting for his life,” according to Houston Police Chief Troy Finner.

In the aftermath of the attempted mass murder of Christians, conservative social media users drew attention to Moreno’s use of the masculine alias “Jeffrey Escalante,” taking that as conclusive evidence that Moreno identified as transgender.

“Lakewood Church shooter identified as a transgender, legal name Genesse Moreno but went by the name ‘Jeffrey,'” said Sara Gonzales on X.

More criminal history, per @houston_cf pic.twitter.com/gwNU5QmVZJ

— Sara Gonzales (@SaraGonzalesTX) February 12, 2024

However, Commander Christopher Hassig of Houston Police Department’s homicide division said that wasn’t the case.

โ€œOur shooter is identified by a driverโ€™s license as Genesee Moreno, 36 years old, Hispanic female,โ€ Hassig said. โ€œShe has utilized both male and female names, but through all of our investigation to this pointโ€ฆshe has been identified this entire time as female.โ€

[RELATED: Leaked โ€œDeath Dayโ€ Nashville Manifesto Shows Trans Shooter Targeted White Children, โ€œCr*ckersโ€ with White Privilege…]

After the shootings, records revealed that Moreno, an El Salvador native, had previously been detained by U.S. immigration authorities following brushes with the law, but she was never deported.

According to police, Moreno had a history of mental health issues and had recently been involved in familial disputes with her ex-husband and his family, some of whom, according to police, were Jewish.

During their investigation, police uncovered anti-Semitic writings penned by Moreno. They also revealed that the gun Moreno used for the shooting had “Palestine” written on it.

Moreno had an extensive history of arrests, going back to 2005, including a variety of crimes. She was previously arrested for possession of marijuana, assault of a public servant, assault causing bodily harm, forgery, theft, evading arrest, and more.

Texas Judge Lina Hidalgo requested that investigators look into the shooting as a potential hate-crime, because it took place during the Spanish language service.

Previous ArticleForeign Fentanyl Threatens American National Security: Robert Charles
Next Article Joe Biden Met With Officials of Chinese Energy Firm That Did Business With Hunter in 2017, Former Associate Testifies
Seamus Othot

Seamus Othot is a reporter for The Maine Wire. He grew up in New Hampshire, and graduated from The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, where he was able to spend his time reading the great works of Western Civilization. He can be reached at [email protected] or โ€ช(401) 216-9160โ€ฌ.

Latest News

Vance Announces Federal Fraud Crackdown Hours Before Bangor Visit Focused on Maine Fraud Concerns

May 13, 2026

Skowhegan Homeless Shelter Ordered to Shut Down After Failing to Install Sprinkler System

May 13, 2026

Collins Presses FBI, DEA on Illegal Marijuana Grow Houses in Maine

May 13, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Roger Grant
Roger Grant
2 years ago

The illegal she/he shooter from El Salvador is posted as Non hispanic White.
Biden DOJ will use this as more evidence that white shooters are attacking innocents.

2
cheshire cat
cheshire cat
2 years ago

“Texas Judge Lina Hidalgo requested that investigators look into the shooting as a potential hate-crime, because it took place during the Spanish language service.”
๐Ÿ™ So Lina, if was in English there was no hate involved? Mass Shooting with love? What a stupid COW.

2
Boxcar
Boxcar
2 years ago

Thank God that there were armed congregants with firearm training at that service. Obviously not a GUN FREE ZONE or it could have been much worse.

2
Recent News

Vance Announces Federal Fraud Crackdown Hours Before Bangor Visit Focused on Maine Fraud Concerns

May 13, 2026

Skowhegan Homeless Shelter Ordered to Shut Down After Failing to Install Sprinkler System

May 13, 2026

Collins Presses FBI, DEA on Illegal Marijuana Grow Houses in Maine

May 13, 2026

$56.7 Million School Budget Heads to Cumberland and North Yarmouth Voters for Validation

May 13, 2026

U.S. Stops Enrolling New Hospices and Home Healthcare Agencies in Medicare As Vance Blocks $1.4 Billion in Funding

May 13, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz