The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast
  • Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent
  • Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms
  • From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington
  • Editorial: If It’s Not Hate, Then What Is It?
  • From Logging Blockades to Abolishing ICE: What Happened to Troy Jackson’s Views on Foreign Labor?
  • Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term
  • Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Sunday, August 23
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » Maine and New England » Jonathan Bush Expected to Announce Run for Governor on Wednesday
Maine and New England

Jonathan Bush Expected to Announce Run for Governor on Wednesday

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonOctober 6, 2025Updated:October 6, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read3K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Health care entrepreneur Jonathan Bush is expected to jump into the 2026 Maine governor’s race Wednesday in Belfast a move that could upend both parties’ contests amid a swirl of controversy surrounding the state’s top election official – also Democrat candidate for the state’s top job.

Bush, a Republican and cousin of former President George W. Bush, has been positioning himself for a run since summer. The Belfast event, which has been promoted as a “major announcement,” is expected to serve as his formal announcement.

In recent months, Bush has hosted a podcast entitled ‘Maine for Keeps’ on which he discussed major issues facing the state.

If he throws his hat in the ring, Bush would join a GOP field that already includes state Sen. Jim Libby, attorney Bobby Charles, entrepreneur Owen McCarthy, real estate executive David Jones, business leader Ben Midgley, veteran Steven Sheppard, retired CPA Ken Capron and former South Paris selectman Robert Wessels.

On the Democratic side, the primary is shaping up as a crowded and competitive field. Among the other declared or prominent Democrat candidates are Secretary of State Shenna Bellows, former Senate President Troy Jackson, former Maine House Speaker Hannah Pingree, and Angus King III, a renewable energy executive and son of U.S. Sen. Angus King.

Two independent candidates are also running so far — State Senator Rick Bennett (R-Oxford) and former state senator Ed Crockett (D).

The campaign is now facing an added layer of tension thanks to an alleged ballot mishandling scandal tied to Bellows Secretary of State office. Officials are investigating claims that 250 Maine ballots were mistakenly shipped to a private residence in Newburgh in an Amazon box wrapped in plastic and found alongside household items.

Bellows says she immediately launched an in house investigation and involved law enforcement once the issue came to light. Yet, when Bellows had the opportunity to speak on the issue on Thursday at a campaign event, she refused. 

The saga adds a fraught dimension to Bellows’ candidacy. Her prior high profile decision to disqualify then former President Donald Trump from Maine’s Republican presidential primary invoking the insurrection clause of the 14th Amendment was later trounced by the U.S. Supreme Court, but it nonetheless thrust her into the national spotlight and opened her to political attack.

Meanwhile, the looming launch by Bush, with name recognition, resources, and a potentially new narrative, could shake the balance in a state where no clear front-runner has yet emerged.

Gov. Janet Mills, a Democrat, is term-limited and unable to seek reelection, ensuring both parties will fight hard for the open seat.

Bush’s Belfast event is expected to clarify whether he steps fully into the race and, if so, how he plans to navigate Maine’s shifting political terrain and a Democratic field already grappling with internal fault lines and election controversies.

Previous ArticleBurnell Organizing a Pro Law Enforcement Rally in Opposition to the Anti Ice Rally in Scarborough
Next Article McLaughlin Resigns from Houlton Town Council Over Town Manager Arrest
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast

August 23, 2026

Unprepared Anti-Trans Massachusetts Democrat Outgunned By ‘Elderly,’ Pro-Trans Incumbent

August 23, 2026

Why Washington Can’t Stay Away from Maine: National Heavyweights Descend on Pine Tree State Ahead of Midterms

August 23, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

UMaine Scientist Says 1,260-Pound Blue Marlin Largest Ever Caught Along New England Coast

August 23, 2026

From Executive Order to Green Flag: How Trump Brought IndyCar Racing to the Heart of Washington

August 23, 2026

Five Candidates Line Up to Challenge for Lewiston Mayor as Sheline Seeks Third Term

August 22, 2026

Jill Biden’s Latest Excuse For Joe: ‘Someone May Have Drugged Him Before Disastrous 2024 Debate’

August 22, 2026

‘Greedy Political Consultants To Blame For Denying The Risqué Side Of Ill-Suited Graham Platner’

August 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.