The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • 20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn
  • Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies
  • Blame Augusta Democrats for Closing Maternity Wards: Laurel Libby
  • Pingree to Hold ‘Shadow Hearing’ on Biddeford ICE Shooting Before Independent Investigation Is Complete
  • Lincoln Town Office Shuts Down for a Day Amid Cybersecurity Incident
  • Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests
  • Sobering, Painful Reality Check For U.S. Liberals Crying For ‘Universal Health Care’ Canadian Style
  • Six Hours to Allagash: The Unanswered Questions Behind Troy Jackson’s Taxpayer-Funded Travel
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Monday, August 17
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Western Maine School Shut Down, Road Closed Amid Bomb Threat
News

Western Maine School Shut Down, Road Closed Amid Bomb Threat

Ted CohenBy Ted CohenOctober 31, 2025Updated:October 31, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Brownfield-Denmark Elementary School was terrorized Thursday by a bomb threat, later determined to be a prank.

The Facebook website Western Maine Breaking News was the first to report the incident, saying a student apparently called in the threat from a school bus.

The local fire department was on the scene and police evacuated the Denmark school.

Cops shut down the road in front of the building.

A school secretary “believed that the call came from someone on a school bus,” the Facebook report said.

The suspect allegedly said that he was going to “blow the place up.”

Superintendent Jay Robinson issued a statement Thursday night to parents confirming that shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday, the secretary received a call from someone who made “threatening remarks” before hanging up.

“This was after students and all but three staff members and a parent had left the building,” Robinson said. “The incident was reported to the Oxford County Sheriff’s Department, who then came to the school and performed a thorough search using a bomb-sniffing canine.”

Robinson called the threat a “hoax,” adding that police were following up on the number from which the threat came using caller ID.

The school will be open as usual today, Robinson said.

The bomb threat comes two weeks after 50 schools in Maine and Texas received emailed bomb threats.

The email indicated that explosives had been planted in and around each of the schools on the distribution list.

The threat turned out to be a “hoax,” meaning no bombs were found.

But “hoax” bomb threats can be in some ways almost as disruptive and terrifying as those that turn out to be “real.”

The challenge always for school administrators and law enforcement is whether to evacuate buildings or just ignore a threat as likely to be a prank.

It’s a no-win proposition.

Topsham High School, Portland High School and Colby College, meanwhile, received bomb threats in the past six weeks, all determined to be non-credible.

Prank or no prank, communicating a bomb threat is against the law.

In Maine the penalty can include a fine up to $2,000 and a year in jail.

Art
Previous ArticleHarrington Praises Sanford Leaders, Calls for Stronger Law Enforcement Tools to Address Homelessness Crisis
Next Article Attempted Bank Fraud in Houlton Leads to Cross-Border Chase Into Canada Involving Canadian Mounted Police
Ted Cohen

[email protected]

Latest News

20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn

August 17, 2026

Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies

August 17, 2026

Pingree to Hold ‘Shadow Hearing’ on Biddeford ICE Shooting Before Independent Investigation Is Complete

August 17, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn

August 17, 2026

Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies

August 17, 2026

Pingree to Hold ‘Shadow Hearing’ on Biddeford ICE Shooting Before Independent Investigation Is Complete

August 17, 2026

Lincoln Town Office Shuts Down for a Day Amid Cybersecurity Incident

August 17, 2026

Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests

August 17, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.