The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • America’s $40 Trillion-Plus Question: When Does the National Debt Become a Crisis?
  • Two Arrested and Firearms Seized in Waterville MDEA Bust
  • Whitefield Man Arrested And Yellow-Flag Issued Following Ten-Hour Standoff
  • Levant Woman Broke Into Bangor Building, Left an Unwelcome Deposit, Then Broke Into Home and Deposited Herself in Bed
  • Plane Crash in Bristol Harbor Leaves Pilot Dead, Passenger Injured
  • Lewiston Shooting Families Press for Answers as Lawmakers Await AG Opinion on Donation Oversight
  • Brewer Police Chief Speaks Out After Three-Year-Old Stuck by Needle, Calls Out Failures in Maine’s Justice System
  • New GOP Campaign Ad: ‘Democrat Troy Jackson Got Paid, Mainers Got Played’
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Friday, August 21
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » Education » Mills administration and MPA conclude football, volleyball cannot be played this fall
Education

Mills administration and MPA conclude football, volleyball cannot be played this fall

Jacob PosikBy Jacob PosikSeptember 10, 2020Updated:August 21, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Gov. Janet Mills speaks at a microphone in front of a U.S. flag and a backdrop of State of Maine agency seals
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Bowing to pressure from the Mills administration, the Maine Principals’ Association announced Thursday that it will not allow football or volleyball to be played this fall, but will allow other fall sports to resume competition.

The MPA and state officials released a joint statement Thursday noting the two parties had come to an agreement on which high school sports can be played this fall. Students participating in golf, cross-country, field hockey and soccer will be allowed to practice and compete in 2020. The MPA said it would “continue to work with both sport committees to provide a season in the late winter/early spring” for football and volleyball, yet there remains no guarantee either sport will be played in the 2020-21 academic year.

The MPA voted unanimously in late August to allow all fall high school sports, including football and volleyball, to be played this year, however the association’s decision did not withstand the scrutiny of the Mills administration. The administration reviewed the MPA’s recommendations last week and determined they did not conform with the state’s underlying public health restrictions.

In place of regular competition, the MPA also said it would work to provide opportunities for students participating in both cancelled sports. Athletes in football could participate in 7-on-7 flag football or punt, pass and kick competitions this fall while volleyball could only be played outdoors.

The new guidance from the MPA also states that schools that reside within a county that maintains a “yellow” or “red” designation from the state in regards to school reopening would not be allowed to practice or compete until the county returns to a green designation. This means that student athletes enrolled at schools in York County cannot currently play sports.

It remains unclear why the Mills administration did not offer this new framework as its initial guidance to the MPA before allowing it to develop the rules and recommendations for playing high school sports this fall. The announcement Thursday ends a weeks-long saga of the MPA and Mills administration’s back and forth on resuming high school sports.

While there is hope for the football and volleyball seasons to be played during the 2020-21 academic year, the decision to delay the seasons for football and volleyball will interfere with the lives of student athletes and coaches who participate in different sports each season.

Commentary Featured football governor janet mills high school sports Janet Mills maine principals' association MPA Opinion sports volleyball
Previous ArticleThe new left rejects a self-governing republic
Next Article Shutdown Stories: Aquaboggan
Jacob Posik

Jacob Posik, of Turner, is the director of legislative affairs at Maine Policy Institute. He formerly served as policy analyst and communications director at Maine Policy, as well as editor of the Maine Wire. Posik can be reached at [email protected].

Latest News

‘New York Times May Have Urged Its Married NFL Reporter To Cozy Up To Married Pats Coach:’ Podcaster

August 18, 2026

Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies

August 17, 2026

“Pro Football Talk” Co-Host Michael Holley Collapses On Air, Crashes To Floor, Stunning Anchor Mike Florio

August 16, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Two Arrested and Firearms Seized in Waterville MDEA Bust

August 21, 2026

Whitefield Man Arrested And Yellow-Flag Issued Following Ten-Hour Standoff

August 21, 2026

Levant Woman Broke Into Bangor Building, Left an Unwelcome Deposit, Then Broke Into Home and Deposited Herself in Bed

August 21, 2026

Plane Crash in Bristol Harbor Leaves Pilot Dead, Passenger Injured

August 21, 2026

Lewiston Shooting Families Press for Answers as Lawmakers Await AG Opinion on Donation Oversight

August 21, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.