The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest
  • Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury
  • Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover
  • Cat Fight Breaks Out On Boston’s Airwaves Over Sappy Belichick Interview, Missing Gal Pal
  • Supreme Court Adds Sex-Based Discrimination Case to The Docket for Next Term
  • ‘Would You Like Saliva With Those Fries?’
  • Parents’ Rights Group Calls for Graham Platner to Be Barred From Maine School Properties Amid Growing Controversies
  • Bangor Pit Bull Fatally Shot After Allegedly Charging at Child; Owner Faces Charges
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Thursday, May 21
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Open Investigation: Assault Charges Filed in Bangor High School Beating: Bangor PD
News

Open Investigation: Assault Charges Filed in Bangor High School Beating: Bangor PD

Steve RobinsonBy Steve RobinsonDecember 16, 2022Updated:December 16, 20222 Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
A student recorded video of a violent attack on Oct. 17, 2022.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The Bangor Police Department said Thursday assault charges have been filed against a Bangor High School student who assaulted another student on school grounds in October and the attack is still under investigation.

A Bangor PD spokesman declined to say whether the assault was being investigated as a hate crime or bias incident.

In a separate statement, a Bangor High official declined to provide specifics about the case, but said the school follows national best practices for harm mitigation when students are in violent conflict.

The fight came to light after video was posted to social media and reported exclusively by The Maine Wire on Thursday. As of Friday, no other media outlet in Maine has reported on the incident, despite a history of reporting on violence in Maine schools.

In the video, at least three adult school employees watch as the attacker, who is black, lands 25 punches on the victim, who is white, and places him in a chokehold.

The lack of effective intervention by the adults witnessing the attack raises questions about a new law passed last year that regulates what steps school employees can take to prevent students from harming each other.

According to the new law, teachers or staff may use “physical restraint” only if one student’s actions pose an “imminent danger of serious physical injury” to another student and “less restrictive interventions would be ineffective in stopping imminent danger of serious physical injury to the student or another person.”

In instances where physical restraint is justified, it must end “immediately upon the cessation of imminent danger of serious physical injury to the student or another person.”

Lastly, but importantly, a teacher or staffer, like the men in the video above, must use “the least amount of force necessary … to protect the student or another person from imminent danger of serious physical injury.”

In other words, the teacher seen in the video putting his hand in the way of the attacker as he pummeled the other student in the back of the head might have been following Maine law.

The law requires him to use the least amount of force necessary will simultaneously making judgements as to whether the victim is sustaining “serious” harm.

Previous ArticlePublic Hearing for Janet Mills $447M Spending Bill Scheduled for Wednesday
Next Article Social Worker Secretly Began Gender Transition for 13-Year-Old Girl in Maine Public School: Mom
Steve Robinson
  • Twitter

Steve Robinson is the Editor-in-Chief of The Maine Wire. ‪He can be reached by email at [email protected].

Latest News

Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest

May 21, 2026

Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury

May 21, 2026

Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover

May 21, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Bob
Bob
1 year ago

Blacks….violent always and everywhere

0
ralph coffman
ralph coffman
1 year ago

Worthless adults

0
Recent News

Legendary Hot Dog Champ Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty to Hitting Man at Bar, Will Be on Probation For July 4 Contest

May 21, 2026

Imprisoned Four-Star Navy Admiral Not Bribed by Business Executives: Jury

May 21, 2026

Jet That Transported American Ebola Patient Lands In Bangor On Fueling Stopover

May 21, 2026

Cat Fight Breaks Out On Boston’s Airwaves Over Sappy Belichick Interview, Missing Gal Pal

May 21, 2026

Supreme Court Adds Sex-Based Discrimination Case to The Docket for Next Term

May 21, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz