The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash
  • Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty
  • Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges
  • Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith
  • Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home
  • Chinese National Indicted for Money Laundering Conspiracy in Maryland Has Extensive Ties to Maine Cannabis
  • New Downeaster Train Station Project Secures $48M in Federal Funding
  • Can a Christian Smoke Weed? What the Bible Says
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Tuesday, August 18
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » Top News » U.S. Defense Secretary Austin, 70, Hospitalized Once Again
Top News

U.S. Defense Secretary Austin, 70, Hospitalized Once Again

Seamus OthotBy Seamus OthotFebruary 12, 2024Updated:February 12, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

On Sunday, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III was once-again hospitalized on Sunday, this time for a non-specified bladder issue.

Austin, who drew criticism last month for failing to disclose a December hospitalization, was later transferred to critical care at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, according to the Pentagon.

[RELATED: Collins “Shocked” at U.S. Defense Secretary’s Secretive Hospitalization, Calls for Transparency…]

“He is still at the hospital and receiving treatment,” said Pentagon Press Secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder.

Austin initially retained his powers as Secretary of Defense, but eventually decided to transfer his official command powers to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks, at 4:55pm.

Update: Secretary Austin is still at the hospital and receiving treatment. At approximately 4:55 pm today, he transferred the functions and duties of the office of the Secretary of Defense to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks. Full statement: https://t.co/ohOQmlG57x

— Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder (@PentagonPresSec) February 12, 2024

Despite transferring Austin to critical care, doctors believe that he will make a full recovery, and that the incident will not impact his battle with prostate cancer.

“The current bladder issue is not expected to change his anticipated full recovery.  His cancer prognosis remains excellent,” said the Medical Center.

Prior to the hospitalization, Austin was scheduled to leave on Tuesday for two meetings in Brussels, Belgium, with the Ukraine Defense Contact Group and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Defense Ministerial.

This hospitalization follows a month after Austin was secretly hospitalized in early January, suffering from complications resulting from a surgery meant to address his prostate cancer.

That incident led to widespread criticism of Austin, who initially concealed his condition and hospitalization, even from the White House. At the time, Austin did not transfer his official command powers to a subordinate, despite being incapacitated, raising questions about how his medical treatments may have impacted U.S. military preparedness.

The Department of Defense (DoD) has been far more open about the current situation, after Austin acknowledged that he was at fault for keeping the previous incident from the president and the public.

“I should have told the president about my cancer diagnosis. I should have also told my team and the American public, and I take full responsibility. I apologize to my teammates and to the American people,” said Austin in a February 1 interview.

Previous ArticleBangor’s Lawless Tent City Results in Shooting Near UMA Campus: No Arrests
Next Article Portland’s Homeless Services Center Reports High Number of “Out-of-State” Intakes
Seamus Othot

Seamus Othot is a reporter for The Maine Wire. He graduated from The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, where he was able to spend his time reading the great works of Western Civilization. He can be reached at [email protected] or ‪(401) 216-9160‬.

Latest News

Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith

August 18, 2026

New Downeaster Train Station Project Secures $48M in Federal Funding

August 18, 2026

House Speaker Mike Johnson Comes to Maine, Throws Weight Behind LePage in High-Stakes CD2 Race

August 18, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash

August 18, 2026

Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty

August 18, 2026

Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

August 18, 2026

Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith

August 18, 2026

Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home

August 18, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.