The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Collins Bus Tour Heads to Jackson’s Backyard as Maine Senate Race Intensifies
  • Portland Press Herald Reporter Blasts Use of AI Journalism – Even As The Paper’s Board Chairman Praises It
  • Legendary ‘Grease’ Actress Stockard Channing Ditches Maine Island Retreat, Runs To London
  • Bald MBTA Boss Who Pulled Employee’s Hair To Pay Her Nearly $500,000 To Just Go Away
  • Gaspar DaSilva Returning to Maine After Nearly Seven Months in ICE Custody
  • ACLU of Maine Among Those Taking Legal Action Against President Trump’s New Birthright Citizenship Executive Order
  • “Pro Football Talk” Co-Host Michael Holley Collapses On Air, Crashes To Floor, Stunning Anchor Mike Florio
  • State Regulators Approve Merger of York Hospital with MaineHealth
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Monday, August 17
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Fire at Orrington Trash Facility Expected to Burn for Days, Potentially Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery
News

Fire at Orrington Trash Facility Expected to Burn for Days, Potentially Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery

Libby PalanzaBy Libby PalanzaOctober 2, 2024Updated:October 2, 20241 Comment3 Mins Read1K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

A fire broke out Tuesday night around 8:21pm at a trash facility in Orrington, causing Orrington Fire and Rescue to direct everyone in the surrounding areas to keep their windows closed due to the significant smoke that has been generated.

Although the fire has now been contained, officials have said that it will take several days for it to be fully extinguished.

An investigation as to the fire’s cause is still underway, but initial reports suggest that it was started by a lithium-ion battery.

According to WABI TV, the fire was initially so big that its glow could be seen from across the river. A photo provided to the Maine Wire showed the glow on the horizon visible from nearby Hampden.

As of about 5am Wednesday, crews were still battling the flames from outside the building due to concerns about its structural integrity. Because of this, they were unable remove a nearly 40-foot-high “decomposing” trash pile from inside.

A statement from the Orrington Fire and Rescue Department — authored by Assistant Fire Chief Chad Bean — explained that the “entire tipping floor area of the building [was] burning with fire through the roof of a 200 x 400 steel building” when they arrived on scene Tuesday night.

Source: @lakeregionfire1 on X, Professional Firefighters of Hermon, October 1 at 11:40pm

Resources were brought in from a number of surrounding towns, including Brewer, Bangor, Holden, Eddington, Dedham, Hampden, Hermon, Levant, and Bucksport to help fight the fire.

Assistant Chief Bean goes on to say that the fire is creating a “significant environmental hazard” as it continues to burn.

The Department will be working with the owners of the facility, the Town of Orrington, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), and the Penobscot County Emergency Management to find a way to safely extinguish the fire in full.

They have directed everyone in Orrington, Brewer, Bangor, Bucksport, and Hampden to keep their windows closed at this time due to the significant amount of smoke being created by the fire.

Source: Orrington Fire and Rescue Facebook Page, October 2024

According to WMTW, officials have said that the material involved in the fire remains from when the facility was still owned by Penobscot Energy Recovery Company (PERC), prior to being sold to Eagle Point Energy Center (EPEC).

They went on to suggest that PERC had “improperly disposed” of roughly 8,000 tons of solid waste before being foreclosed on in May of last year. In conjunction with the Town of Orrington, EPEC has since spent more than half a million dollars “remediating” the site.

The Maine DEP issued a statement late Wednesday morning regarding the fire, saying that they do “not know of any specific human health or air quality impacts at this time,” but recommends that those “who may be downwind” from the fire keep their windows closed at this time.

They are in the process of “assembling personnel and assets from the Department’s Air Bureau to monitor the air quality in the surrounding area adjacent” to the fire.

An EPA [Environmental Protection Agency] air monitoring team is on route after the Maine DEP requested earlier this morning that the EPA augment this air monitoring effort,” the statement continued.

The Maine DEP indicated that they would share air sampling results as soon as they become available.

Previous ArticleMills Admin Outlines Recommendations for Meeting State Housing Production Goals by 2030
Next Article ‘High-Value Target’: Biden-Harris Green Tax Credit Prone To Fraud, Abuse, Gov’t Watchdog Finds
Libby Palanza

Libby Palanza is a reporter for the Maine Wire, frequently covering legislative, legal, and local stories. She can be reached at [email protected].

Latest News

Collins Bus Tour Heads to Jackson’s Backyard as Maine Senate Race Intensifies

August 16, 2026

Portland Press Herald Reporter Blasts Use of AI Journalism – Even As The Paper’s Board Chairman Praises It

August 16, 2026

Legendary ‘Grease’ Actress Stockard Channing Ditches Maine Island Retreat, Runs To London

August 16, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
sandy
sandy
1 year ago

One evermental problem after an other. Should the State DEP will save us.
Incompendent leadership!!!

0
Recent News

Collins Bus Tour Heads to Jackson’s Backyard as Maine Senate Race Intensifies

August 16, 2026

Legendary ‘Grease’ Actress Stockard Channing Ditches Maine Island Retreat, Runs To London

August 16, 2026

Bald MBTA Boss Who Pulled Employee’s Hair To Pay Her Nearly $500,000 To Just Go Away

August 16, 2026

Gaspar DaSilva Returning to Maine After Nearly Seven Months in ICE Custody

August 16, 2026

ACLU of Maine Among Those Taking Legal Action Against President Trump’s New Birthright Citizenship Executive Order

August 16, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz