The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Democrats Hold Shadow Hearing in Biddeford Over Fatal ICE Shooting
  • Health Insurance Rates for Mainers to Increase (Again)
  • 20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn
  • Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies
  • Blame Augusta Democrats for Closing Maternity Wards: Laurel Libby
  • Pingree to Hold ‘Shadow Hearing’ on Biddeford ICE Shooting Before Independent Investigation Is Complete
  • Lincoln Town Office Shuts Down for a Day Amid Cybersecurity Incident
  • Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Tuesday, August 18
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Janet Mills Calls Upon Linda McMahon to Release $6.8 Billion in Frozen Federal Education Funds
News

Janet Mills Calls Upon Linda McMahon to Release $6.8 Billion in Frozen Federal Education Funds

Libby PalanzaBy Libby PalanzaJuly 18, 2025Updated:July 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read3K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D) has joined her counterparts in sixteen states in calling on Secretary of Education Linda McMahon to release $6.8 billion in funding that was scheduled for distribution on July 1.

Although Congress voted in March to extend the prior year’s funding levels government-wide for the next fiscal year, an email sent by the Department of Education (DOE) on June 30, according to reporting from EdWeek, outlined several public education programs that would not be receiving funding in accordance with the expected timeline.

Impacted programs were said to include those that support the children of migrant agricultural workers under Title I-C, as well as those who are learning the English language under Title III-A. The total value of funds frozen for this programs were $375 million and $890 million respectively.

$2.2 billion in Title II-A funding for professional development was also held, alongside $1.3 billion in Title IV-A funding for academic enrichment and $1.4 billion in Title IV-B funding for before- and after-school programs, particularly in “high-poverty and low-performing schools.”

“Decisions have not been made concerning submissions and awards for this upcoming academic year,” the email reportedly said. “Accordingly, the Department will not be issuing Grant Award Notifications obligating funds for these programs on July 1 prior to completing that review.”

All five of these programs had previously been flagged for cuts by President Donald Trump (R) in his so-called “Skinny Budget” for fiscal year 2026.

According to NPR, the DOE’s message to state officials said that the agency “remains committed to ensuring taxpayer resources are spent in accordance with the President’s priorities and the Department’s statutory responsibilities.”

A spokesperson from the DOE has reportedly directed all questions regarding the held funding to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).

Details have not been released regarding the timeline for reviewing the funding that has been withheld for the current fiscal year.

Maine’s Gov. Mills joined sixteen governors Thursday in sending a letter to the DOE asking for the funding to be released.

“By withholding these education funds, the president and his Administration are abandoning their responsibility to our students and harming families across our state,” said Mills.

“I am proud to join with my fellow governors to demand the release of this lawful, bipartisan funding, to prevent Maine schools from cutting critical programs and ensure that our next generation can reach their full potential,” she said.

“This delay is not a matter of administrative discretion; it is a failure to fulfill the Department’s most basic responsibility to implement the law and distribute Congressionally-appropriated funding,” the governors wrote in their letter.

“It places an undue burden on schools, community colleges, and adult education providers,” they continued. “More importantly, it robs students of opportunities they are entitled to under federal statute.”

A press release from the governor’s office indicates that an estimated $27.6 million worth of federal funding has not yet been released to the state.

Click Here to Read the Full Press Release and Letter

Art
Previous ArticleBreaking Down the Trump Administration’s $6.8 Billion Federal Funding Freeze for Some Education Programs
Next Article Susan Collins Among the 10 Republicans Urging OMB to Release $6.8 Billion in Frozen Federal Education Funding
Libby Palanza

Libby Palanza is a reporter for the Maine Wire, frequently covering legislative, legal, and local stories. She can be reached at [email protected].

Latest News

Democrats Hold Shadow Hearing in Biddeford Over Fatal ICE Shooting

August 17, 2026

Health Insurance Rates for Mainers to Increase (Again)

August 17, 2026

20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn

August 17, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Democrats Hold Shadow Hearing in Biddeford Over Fatal ICE Shooting

August 17, 2026

Health Insurance Rates for Mainers to Increase (Again)

August 17, 2026

20-Year-Old Motorcyclist Dies after Crash in Auburn

August 17, 2026

Ex-MLB Pitcher Tommy John, Famous For ‘Tommy John Surgery’ Performed On Maine MLB Thrower, Dies

August 17, 2026

Pingree to Hold ‘Shadow Hearing’ on Biddeford ICE Shooting Before Independent Investigation Is Complete

August 17, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.