The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Data Center Advisory Council to Hold First Public Meeting on June 3rd
  • House Passes Bill to Prevent Secret Gender Transitions at Schools Despite Opposition from Pingree and Golden
  • DHHS Affirms Credible Allegations of Fraud Against Gateway Community Services, Confirming Maine Wire Reporting
  • Pachamama Sanctuary of Maine Sues Federal Gov’t for Blocking Use of Hallucinogenic Substance
  • House Overwhelmingly Passes Bill to Bar Institutional Investors from Buying Single-Family Homes with Bipartisan Support
  • NASCAR Veteran Champ Kyle Busch, Born Into Racing, Dies Suddenly At Age 41
  • Dangerous Drug Bust Leads to Arrest of Drew Plantation Man
  • BREAKING: Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Director of National Intelligence
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Friday, May 22
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home ยป News ยป News ยป Maine Family Planning Ends Primary Care Services After Court Upholds Trump-Era Medicaid Funding Ban
News

Maine Family Planning Ends Primary Care Services After Court Upholds Trump-Era Medicaid Funding Ban

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonOctober 31, 2025Updated:October 31, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read1K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

One of Maine’s largest abortion care providers will end its primary care services on Friday after a federal court ruled that the Trump administration is not required to restore Medicaid funding to the organization.

Maine Family Planning, which operates the state’s largest network of sexual and reproductive health clinics, announced that it will discontinue primary care services at its Ellsworth, Houlton and Presque Isle locations, affecting about 800 patients.

The decision follows a ruling that upheld restrictions under H.R. 1, legislation signed into law by President Donald Trump earlier this year. The law prohibits family planning and abortion providers from collecting Medicaid funding if they received at least $800,000 in Medicaid reimbursements in 2023.

Although Medicaid funds are not used to pay for abortions in most cases, the loss of reimbursements has forced the organization to scale back services. Maine Family Planning and the Center for Reproductive Rights sued to restore the funds, but a judge ruled in August that Congress has the authority to withhold federal money following the Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade.

George Hill, president and CEO of Maine Family Planning, said the organization feels singled out because it provides abortion services alongside other reproductive care. He said the closures will affect approximately 2,200 to 2,300 patient visits each year and result in a significant loss of revenue.

The Center for Reproductive Rights has appealed the ruling to the First Circuit Court of Appeals, seeking to reverse the decision and allow Maine Family Planning to resume billing Medicaid for primary care services.

Art
Previous ArticleBowdoin Sex Offender Arrested in Rockland After Making Contact With a Minor in Camden
Next Article Courts Order SNAP Benefits to Continue Amid Shutdown
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

Data Center Advisory Council to Hold First Public Meeting on June 3rd

May 22, 2026

House Passes Bill to Prevent Secret Gender Transitions at Schools Despite Opposition from Pingree and Golden

May 22, 2026

DHHS Affirms Credible Allegations of Fraud Against Gateway Community Services, Confirming Maine Wire Reporting

May 22, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Data Center Advisory Council to Hold First Public Meeting on June 3rd

May 22, 2026

House Passes Bill to Prevent Secret Gender Transitions at Schools Despite Opposition from Pingree and Golden

May 22, 2026

DHHS Affirms Credible Allegations of Fraud Against Gateway Community Services, Confirming Maine Wire Reporting

May 22, 2026

Pachamama Sanctuary of Maine Sues Federal Gov’t for Blocking Use of Hallucinogenic Substance

May 22, 2026

House Overwhelmingly Passes Bill to Bar Institutional Investors from Buying Single-Family Homes with Bipartisan Support

May 22, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.