The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash
  • Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty
  • Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges
  • Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith
  • Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home
  • Chinese National Indicted for Money Laundering Conspiracy in Maryland Has Extensive Ties to Maine Cannabis
  • New Downeaster Train Station Project Secures $48M in Federal Funding
  • Can a Christian Smoke Weed? What the Bible Says
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Tuesday, August 18
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Railroad Company Begins Clearing Bangor Homeless Camp Along Train Tracks
News

Railroad Company Begins Clearing Bangor Homeless Camp Along Train Tracks

Seamus OthotBy Seamus OthotDecember 22, 2025Updated:December 22, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read2K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

The CSX railroad company began clearing a Bangor homeless encampment on Monday morning that was located on their property near the train tracks between Washington Street and the Penobscot River.

[RELATED: Bangor City Council Delays Clearing of Massive Homeless Encampment by Two Months…]

The Bangor City Council set a December 19 deadline for the camp to be cleared, though that deadline was missed by three days. At the time the deadline was set in November, there were an estimated 40-50 people living in the encampment on property owned in part by CSX and in part by the city.

According to the Bangor Daily News, the Bangor City Council decided not to move forward with clearing the encampment by Friday, but the railroad company held firm in its decision to oust the homeless people squatting on its land and began clearing the camp on Monday at around 7:00 a.m.

 “We’re coordinating next steps with local authorities, including a scheduled cleanup, and continue to emphasize that the public should always stay clear of active railroad property,” said CSX spokesperson Austin Staton.

The railroad’s cleanup crew reportedly included construction equipment to clear tents and trash, as well as members of the company’s private police force, the CSX Police Department, along with at least two city officials.

One officer told the Bangor paper that many of the encampment’s residents had left before the clearing crews arrived, and only about five people were present when they got there.

By 9:30 a.m., the camp was reportedly empty.

Prior to the clearing, the Bangor City Council distributed a letter to encampment residents warning them that if they remained at the site, they could face criminal trespassing charges and providing them with information on warming centers.

Art
Previous ArticleNationwide Crackdown on Child Exploitation Helps 205 Victims and Nabs Nearly 300 Offenders, Two in Maine
Next Article Portland Opens $150K Public Art Commission for New Harbor Park
Seamus Othot

Seamus Othot is a reporter for The Maine Wire. He graduated from The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, where he was able to spend his time reading the great works of Western Civilization. He can be reached at [email protected] or ‪(401) 216-9160‬.

Latest News

Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash

August 18, 2026

Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty

August 18, 2026

Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

August 18, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash

August 18, 2026

Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty

August 18, 2026

Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

August 18, 2026

Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith

August 18, 2026

Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home

August 18, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.