The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests
  • Sobering, Painful Reality Check For U.S. Liberals Crying For ‘Universal Health Care’ Canadian Style
  • Six Hours to Allagash: The Unanswered Questions Behind Troy Jackson’s Taxpayer-Funded Travel
  • ‘Raising The Sunken Schooner Victory Chimes From New York Harbor May Be too Expensive:’ New York Post
  • Good Grief! Is Graham Platner Planning a Political Comeback?
  • Fourteen 911 Calls Help Troopers Stop Driver Accused of Going More Than 100 MPH
  • Collins Bus Tour Heads to Jackson’s Backyard as Maine Senate Race Intensifies
  • Portland Press Herald Reporter Blasts Use of AI Journalism – Even As The Paper’s Board Chairman Praises It
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Monday, August 17
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Portland Man Accused of Making Threats and Constructing Bomb Arrested After Standoff
News

Portland Man Accused of Making Threats and Constructing Bomb Arrested After Standoff

Edward TomicBy Edward TomicJuly 1, 2024Updated:July 1, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

A Portland man is facing terrorizing and criminal use of explosive charges after allegedly threatening his former domestic and constructing a bomb in a Brighton Corner apartment, according to the Portland Police Department.

The incident in question occurred at about 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 29, when the Portland Police Special Reaction Team, crisis negotiators and Hazardous Device Unit (Bomb Squad), alongside the Maine State Police Tactical Team, executed a high-risk search warrant at 22 Runnels St. in Portland.

Earlier on Saturday, Portland Police were alerted that 39-year-old Daryl Walsh of Portland had made threats to his former domestic partner and a member of the judiciary.

Police said they were informed that Walsh was armed and in the process of constructing a bomb.

After responding to the Runnells Street residence, crisis negotiators were able to speak with Walsh and have him leave his apartment.

A source nearby the incident told the Maine Wire that the Bomb Squad responded to the residence, and that law enforcement confiscated firearms and “grenades” from Walsh.

The source also said that the other units in the building and neighborhood were evacuated.

Walsh was arrested and charged with terrorizing, criminal use of explosives and violation of a protective order.

He is currently being held at the Cumberland County Jail.

39-year-old Daryl Walsh of Portland | Source: Cumberland County Jail

“We are thankful that a concerned citizen came forward and alerted us to this threat. It is actions like this that prevent tragedies,” the Portland Police Department stated Monday.

Police say no further information will be released as they continue their investigation.

Previous ArticleIllegal Immigrants Ousted from Boston’s Logan International Airport
Next Article Progressive DA Shares Perspective on Restorative Justice, Prosecuting Migrants, & Maine’s Flawed Criminal Justice System
Edward Tomic

Edward Tomic is a reporter for The Maine Wire based in Southern Maine. He grew up near Boston, Massachusetts and is a graduate of Boston University. He can be reached at [email protected]

Latest News

Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests

August 17, 2026

Sobering, Painful Reality Check For U.S. Liberals Crying For ‘Universal Health Care’ Canadian Style

August 17, 2026

Six Hours to Allagash: The Unanswered Questions Behind Troy Jackson’s Taxpayer-Funded Travel

August 17, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Bail Check at Hermon Home Leads to Two Arrests

August 17, 2026

Sobering, Painful Reality Check For U.S. Liberals Crying For ‘Universal Health Care’ Canadian Style

August 17, 2026

‘Raising The Sunken Schooner Victory Chimes From New York Harbor May Be too Expensive:’ New York Post

August 17, 2026

Fourteen 911 Calls Help Troopers Stop Driver Accused of Going More Than 100 MPH

August 17, 2026

Collins Bus Tour Heads to Jackson’s Backyard as Maine Senate Race Intensifies

August 16, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.