The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Maine AG Rejects DOJ’s Demand for State to Reverse Policy Refusing Undercover Plates for ICE Vehicles
  • Mariaville Home Destroyed in Accidental Fire Possibly Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery
  • Maine Coon Credited With Alerting Midcoast Maine Couple Of Carbon Monoxide
  • Trump Says Iran Peace Framework ‘Largely Negotiated’ as U.S. Forces Remain on Standby
  • Gunman Killed by Secret Service After Opening Fire Near White House; Trump Safe During Lockdown
  • Lewiston Police Arrest Armed Teen After Residents Report Gun Incident Near Horton Street
  • Ogunquit KOs Bar Harbor In Top Seed As Northeast’s Hippest Summer Oceanic Playground
  • Trump Administration Moves to Require Most Temporary Visa Holders to Leave U.S. Before Seeking Green Cards
Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Maine Wire
Sunday, May 24
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Gunman Killed by Secret Service After Opening Fire Near White House; Trump Safe During Lockdown
News

Gunman Killed by Secret Service After Opening Fire Near White House; Trump Safe During Lockdown

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonMay 24, 2026Updated:May 24, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

WASHINGTON — A gunman was shot and killed by U.S. Secret Service officers Saturday evening after authorities say he opened fire at a security checkpoint near the White House, triggering a temporary lockdown of the presidential complex and a massive law enforcement response in the nation’s capital.

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, who allegedly approached a checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW shortly after 6 p.m. and pulled a firearm from a bag before firing toward officers.

Secret Service Uniformed Division officers immediately returned fire, striking Best. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

President Donald Trump was inside the White House residence at the time of the shooting but was not harmed. According to reports from CNN and statements from federal authorities, the president was never in immediate danger during the incident.

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House…” – President Donald J. Trump pic.twitter.com/PCfmZgSC1w

— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 24, 2026

The shooting sent the White House complex into an immediate lockdown lasting roughly 40 to 45 minutes. Journalists gathered on the North Lawn were ordered by Secret Service agents to run inside and shelter in the White House briefing room while heavily armed officers secured the area.

The lockdown was lifted around 6:45 p.m. ET, though a large federal and local law enforcement presence remained in place late into the evening around 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Authorities said one civilian bystander was struck during the exchange of gunfire and remains in critical condition at a local hospital. Investigators have not yet determined whether the bystander was hit by rounds fired by the suspect or by responding officers. No Secret Service personnel were injured.

According to law enforcement sources, Best had a documented history of mental health struggles and prior encounters with the Secret Service.

In June and July of 2025, Best was reportedly arrested after attempting to breach White House security checkpoints. Those incidents resulted in a psychiatric commitment and a court-ordered directive requiring him to stay away from the White House complex.

Officials also indicated that Best had previously posted online messages expressing hostility toward President Trump and a desire to harm him.

🚨 WHITE HOUSE SHOOTING REACTIONS

Three reporters go live as shots ring out near the White House.

Two duck for cover immediately.

One stands there completely clueless.

Never be the woman in the middle. pic.twitter.com/dVkQ31shsM

— Alec Lace (@AlecLace) May 24, 2026

Saturday night’s shooting marks the latest in a string of major security incidents involving gunfire near the White House and President Trump in recent weeks.

On April 25, a gunman allegedly opened fire outside the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at the Washington Hilton in what authorities described as an attempted assassination targeting Trump. The suspect in that case, Cole Tomas Allen, has pleaded not guilty.

Then on May 4, Secret Service agents shot another armed suspect, identified as Michael Marx, after authorities say he drew a firearm and fired near the Washington Monument. A teenage bystander was wounded during that incident.

Federal investigators are also continuing to examine a separate November 2025 ambush involving members of the West Virginia National Guard near the capital, which resulted in the death of U.S. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom.

The FBI and Secret Service are continuing to investigate Saturday’s shooting and Best’s motives. Road closures and security perimeters remained active across parts of downtown Washington late Saturday night

Previous ArticleLewiston Police Arrest Armed Teen After Residents Report Gun Incident Near Horton Street
Next Article Trump Says Iran Peace Framework ‘Largely Negotiated’ as U.S. Forces Remain on Standby
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

Maine AG Rejects DOJ’s Demand for State to Reverse Policy Refusing Undercover Plates for ICE Vehicles

May 24, 2026

Mariaville Home Destroyed in Accidental Fire Possibly Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery

May 24, 2026

Maine Coon Credited With Alerting Midcoast Maine Couple Of Carbon Monoxide

May 24, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Maine AG Rejects DOJ’s Demand for State to Reverse Policy Refusing Undercover Plates for ICE Vehicles

May 24, 2026

Mariaville Home Destroyed in Accidental Fire Possibly Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery

May 24, 2026

Maine Coon Credited With Alerting Midcoast Maine Couple Of Carbon Monoxide

May 24, 2026

Trump Says Iran Peace Framework ‘Largely Negotiated’ as U.S. Forces Remain on Standby

May 24, 2026

Gunman Killed by Secret Service After Opening Fire Near White House; Trump Safe During Lockdown

May 24, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.