The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Maine’s Drug Problem is So Bad Doctors Are Now Offering Narcan Kits at Baby Appointments
  • Florida Political Analyst Puts Up Picture Of Troy Jackson As A Black Man On Instagram Post
  • Federal Probe Into Graham Platner Pal’s Alleged Illegal Campaign Spending Widens
  • State Police Investigating After Two People Found Dead in Rumford Home
  • Residents Purchase Jay Mobile Home Park for $1M
  • Energy Secretary Chris Wright Tours Massive Maine Battery Project as National Republicans Descend on State
  • Trump’s Nemesis “Fixer” Now Fixin’ To Interview The President He Sandbagged
  • Globe Goes Rogue, Endorses Moulton Over Markey, Who Is ‘Too Old For A Third U.S. Senate Term’
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Thursday, August 20
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Boston Man Sentenced to 30 Years in Prison For Sex Trafficking 25-Year-Old Maine Woman
News

Boston Man Sentenced to 30 Years in Prison For Sex Trafficking 25-Year-Old Maine Woman

Edward TomicBy Edward TomicApril 23, 2024Updated:April 23, 20244 Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

A Massachusetts man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Monday after a being found guilty by a federal jury in Maine of sex trafficking a young woman from South Portland through force, fraud and coercion and obstruction.

Ricardo Middleton, also known as “red,” 32, of Boston, received a 30-year prison sentence to be followed by 10 years of supervised release.

[RELATED: MA Man Convicted of Sex Trafficking 25-year-old South Portland Woman…]

“This significant sentence imposed by the court reflects the severity of the defendant’s exploitation of the victim over three days. [Middleton] used drugs, threats, physical force and rape to force her to engage in commercial sex for his own profit,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division in a Monday press release.

“These acts were odious and intolerable. They denied the victim’s basic humanity. The Justice Department will vigorously prosecute human trafficking crimes to hold offenders accountable and to seek justice for survivors of these heinous crimes,” Clarke added.

Also sentenced Monday was Middleton’s co-defendant, Sherry Jones of Dorchester, Mass., who received a sentence of 80 months in prison to be followed by five years of supervised release.

Jones had previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit sex trafficking in May 2023.

In Middleton’s four-day December 2023 trial, federal prosecutors presented evidence detailing three days in November 2015, when Middleton targeted a 25-year-old woman living in South Portland, and coerced her to engage in commercial sex through drugs, lies, intimidation, physical violence and rape.

According to court records, Middleton, alongside his co-defendants Sherry Jones of Dorchester and Matthew Thatcher of Scarborough, Maine, transported the victim to several locations in both Maine and Massachusetts.

The victim testified during trial that while she was being transported, Middleton raped her, told her that he was “going to make a lot of money off” her, beat her and threw pennies at her when she said she was hungry and asked to buy food, according to the Maine U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Middleton was also accused of instructing a co-defendant not to cooperate with prosecutors or to incriminate him.

Thatcher pleaded guilty in November 2023 to interstate transportation in aid of racketeering and contempt of court, and was sentenced on March 22, 2024 to 44 months in prison and three years of supervised release.

Neither Thatcher nor Jones testified at the December trial.

“Commercial sex trafficking traumatizes its victims and strips them of their freedom and dignity,” U.S. Attorney for the District of Maine Darcie McElwee said Monday. “Addressing this serious crime is a priority to my office. I commend the commitment of the law enforcement team that diligently worked this important case for years, always keeping the safety and recovery of Middleton’s vulnerable victim as the main priority.”

Previous ArticlePortland Foot Chase Leads To Arrest of 18-year-old on Drug Trafficking Charge
Next Article TRIAD WEED: Collins Discusses the Negative Impact of Illegal Chinese Weed Grows on Maine and the U.S.
Edward Tomic

Edward Tomic is a reporter for The Maine Wire based in Southern Maine. He grew up near Boston, Massachusetts and is a graduate of Boston University. He can be reached at [email protected]

Latest News

Maine’s Drug Problem is So Bad Doctors Are Now Offering Narcan Kits at Baby Appointments

August 20, 2026

Florida Political Analyst Puts Up Picture Of Troy Jackson As A Black Man On Instagram Post

August 20, 2026

Federal Probe Into Graham Platner Pal’s Alleged Illegal Campaign Spending Widens

August 20, 2026
0 0 votes
Article Rating
4 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
sandy feet
sandy feet
2 years ago

This can not be true, at least in South Portland. SP is such a woke town with rent control and all

0
French
French
2 years ago

where are their photo’s? Why isn’t part of the report?

1
Oldenoughtoknowbetter
Oldenoughtoknowbetter
2 years ago

Now Mainers will get to support “Ricardo” for the next thirty years.Remember when everyone got so upset about “shifty and smoothy”.

0
Jade
Jade
2 years ago

He’s 32. Give him gender reassignment treatment and sell her to someone who’ll traffic her. Same with the others. Stop being so unimaginitive.

0
Recent News

Maine’s Drug Problem is So Bad Doctors Are Now Offering Narcan Kits at Baby Appointments

August 20, 2026

Florida Political Analyst Puts Up Picture Of Troy Jackson As A Black Man On Instagram Post

August 20, 2026

Federal Probe Into Graham Platner Pal’s Alleged Illegal Campaign Spending Widens

August 20, 2026

State Police Investigating After Two People Found Dead in Rumford Home

August 20, 2026

Residents Purchase Jay Mobile Home Park for $1M

August 20, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz