The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Decent Health Care: Indecent Billing Practices
  • Collins Secures $4M for 3D-Printed Homeless Housing Near Bangor as Yellen Pines Backlash Grows
  • Maine’s First LGBTQ+-Focused Affordable Senior Housing Complex Opens in Portland
  • Maine Democrats Go Full Antisemite
  • Blame Augusta Democrats for Closing Maternity Wards
  • Guilford Man Charged with Murder After 63-Year-Old Dies from Sharp-Force Injuries
  • Disney Sues the FCC Over Alleged First Amendment Violations Following Early License Renewal Order
  • No Injuries Reported After Tractor-Trailer Crosses I-95 Median in Hermon
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Wednesday, August 19
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Feds Investigating String of Power Plant Sabotages
News

Feds Investigating String of Power Plant Sabotages

Steve RobinsonBy Steve RobinsonDecember 13, 2022Updated:December 13, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

ABC News reported last week that federal law enforcement is investigating a series of deliberate attacks on the nation’s power grid following an act of sabotage in North Carolina that left more than ten thousand Duke Energy customers without power for several days.

“According to multiple law enforcement sources, an individual opened fire near a Duke Energy facility at the Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway,” reported ABC.

“The individual used what appeared to be a long gun and then sped away. No one was injured and there has been no reported damage to the station at this time. There is also no indication the attacks are coordinated at the moment,” they said.

Although the senior law enforcement officials ABC spoke with did not say whether the attacks were related to other examples of infrastructure sabotage, Michael Snyder wrote a thought provoking post in his “End of the American Dream” blog pointing up many other examples of sabotage in the past year.

Snyder notes that two days before the attack in North Carolina, a similar attack was carried out by unknown perpetrators in Oregon.

According to the ABC affiliate in Portland, two electrical substations were damaged by gunfire in late November in Clackamas County.

“Portland General Electric and the Bonneville Power Administration each had a separate substation location in Clackamas County attacked,” reported KATU.

“The utilities have not shared specific details of either attack, aside from saying they took place in late November,” they said.

According to Dept. of Energy data obtained by NBC News, there have been more than 100 deliberate acts of vandalism or sabotage carried out against American power producers. That’s more than any recent year since 2014.

As Snyder asks in the title to his post on the subject: Who is responsible for these attacks?

If federal law enforcement has identified a culprit, they’re not saying.

And you can add to that question: Why aren’t more people paying attention to this?

The potential danger of successful attacks on the power grid is severe, especially in New England where extended power outages in the middle of a harsh winter could be disastrous.

Representatives from the Maine State Police and Central Maine Power did not respond to a request for comment in the federal investigations.

energy
Previous ArticleIs America Becoming Rome?
Next Article Scientist to Tucker: Liberal Wind Power Threatening Right Whale Extinction
Steve Robinson
  • Twitter

Steve Robinson is the Editor-in-Chief of The Maine Wire. ‪He can be reached by email at [email protected].

Latest News

Decent Health Care: Indecent Billing Practices

August 19, 2026

Collins Secures $4M for 3D-Printed Homeless Housing Near Bangor as Yellen Pines Backlash Grows

August 19, 2026

Maine’s First LGBTQ+-Focused Affordable Senior Housing Complex Opens in Portland

August 19, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Decent Health Care: Indecent Billing Practices

August 19, 2026

Collins Secures $4M for 3D-Printed Homeless Housing Near Bangor as Yellen Pines Backlash Grows

August 19, 2026

Maine’s First LGBTQ+-Focused Affordable Senior Housing Complex Opens in Portland

August 19, 2026

Guilford Man Charged with Murder After 63-Year-Old Dies from Sharp-Force Injuries

August 19, 2026

Disney Sues the FCC Over Alleged First Amendment Violations Following Early License Renewal Order

August 19, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.