Middle schoolers in Topsham were sent home this morning out of an abundance of caution after the school received a bomb threat.
Heidi O’Leary — the superintendent of MSAD 75 — told the Bangor Daily News that the bomb threat was left in a voicemail on Sunday night at about 9pm.
Although students were initially directed to the high school, the school decided to send them home for the day around 9:15am.
According to WMTW, the Maine State Police bomb squad searched the school’s campus and found no explosive devices.
Authorities are still working to determine the source of the threat.
Earlier today, Casco Bay High School in Portland was evacuated after police received a text claiming that there was an active shooter at the school.
Students were evacuated to a nearby location by school officials while fifteen members of the Portland Police Department secured the campus perimeter and commenced their search.
The Portland Fire Department also had medics staged nearby.
After completing their search, the officers determined that there was no threat present in the building, and students were brought back inside.
Last week, Westbrook High School was forced into a lockdown for about thirty minutes after it was reported that a student was in possession of a firearm.
Westbrook Superintendent Peter Lancia said that school officials, including the school resource officer, were able to immediately locate the 14-year-old male student and recover the weapon.
The student was then taken to the Westbrook Police Department where he was interviewed by investigators and charged with the theft of a firearm and terrorizing. The police reported notifying the student’s parents.
The investigation into the threat at the Topsham middle school is still ongoing, and no additional information is available at this time.