The Maine Wire
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending News
  • Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash
  • Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty
  • Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges
  • Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith
  • Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home
  • Chinese National Indicted for Money Laundering Conspiracy in Maryland Has Extensive Ties to Maine Cannabis
  • New Downeaster Train Station Project Secures $48M in Federal Funding
  • Can a Christian Smoke Weed? What the Bible Says
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
The Maine Wire
Wednesday, August 19
  • News
  • Commentary
  • The Blog
  • About
  • Support the Maine Wire
  • Store
The Maine Wire
Home » News » News » Gunfire Returns to Pine Street as Lewiston Limits ICE Ties
News

Gunfire Returns to Pine Street as Lewiston Limits ICE Ties

Jon FetherstonBy Jon FetherstonFebruary 27, 2026Updated:February 27, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read3K Views
Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

LEWISTON, Maine — Lewiston police shut down a section of Pine Street near Howard Street Thursday evening after residents reported hearing at least two shots fired, prompting officers to canvas for evidence and witnesses as investigators worked to determine what happened.

Lewiston police responded at about 6:30 p.m., cordoning off the area while searching for shell casings and interviewing people nearby. Witnesses also reported hearing screaming around the same time, though authorities had not said whether that was connected to the gunfire. As of 7 p.m., police said no injuries had been confirmed.

A city divided: council rushes emergency ICE ordinance, then gunfire returns

The shooting report comes just days after Lewiston’s mayor and city council pushed through a 60-day emergency ordinance aimed at restricting city employees, including police, from using city resources to assist federal civil immigration enforcement. The measure passed on a 5–2 vote and took effect immediately.

Supporters of the ordinance argued it was needed to protect community trust and prevent local government from being pulled into federal immigration work. Opponents warned it was the wrong signal at the wrong time, especially amid ongoing concerns about violence and disorder downtown. City Councilor Bret Martel, said on Facebook, “It’s a good thing we passed an emergency ordinance preventing federal law enforcement from being welcomed or assisted in our community. Seems to be working out well.” Sarcastically.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/14TbPfapiNB

The “ICE presence” rumor — and what can actually be said

In the hours after Thursday night’s reports, some residents on social media pointed to a familiar narrative: that gunfire seemed to cool during a period of widely discussed federal immigration enforcement activity, and that incidents are now resurging after the council’s emergency ordinance. There’s no official data establishing that ICE activity caused shootings to drop,or that the new ordinance caused them to rise, but the perception has become part of the city’s political argument over public safety.

What is verifiable is that Lewiston leaders have been publicly grappling with the fallout and community reaction to reports of heightened ICE activity this winter, even as the city debates where local government’s role begins and ends.

Lewiston Council Rushes “ICE” Emergency Ordinance Through on 5–2 Vote After Heated, Hour-Long Public Comment

What happens next

Police have not identified suspects or announced arrests connected to Thursday night’s “shots fired” call. The investigation was ongoing as of the last public update.

Art
Previous Article65% of Mainers Believe Illegal Immigration Is a Serious Problem Despite Opposition to ICE
Next Article EXCLUSIVE: Sanford Police Execute Search Warrant at Chinese Spa with Federal Assistance As Part of Sex Trafficking investigation
Jon Fetherston

Latest News

Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash

August 18, 2026

Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty

August 18, 2026

Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

August 18, 2026

Comments are closed.

Recent News

Fort Fairfield School Mourns After 15-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash

August 18, 2026

Cumberland Sheriff Warns of Scammers Telling People They Have Jury Duty

August 18, 2026

Sanford Man Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

August 18, 2026

Did Maine’s Child Welfare System Know? Lawmakers to Consider Investigation Into Death of 10-Year-Old Braxtyn Smith

August 18, 2026

Suspect Who Previously Beat a Kitten to Death Arrested After Man Killed and Woman Injured in Guilford Home

August 18, 2026
Newsletter

News

  • News
  • Campaigns & Elections
  • Opinion & Commentary
  • Media Watch
  • Education
  • Media

Maine Wire

  • About the Maine Wire
  • Advertising
  • Contact Us
  • Submit Commentary
  • Complaints
  • Maine Policy Institute

Resources

  • Maine Legislature
  • Legislation Finder
  • Get the Newsletter
  • Maine Wire TV

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Steam RSS
  • Post Office Box 7829, Portland, Maine 04112

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.